12/24/09 11:16 PM

Weekend Links & Open Thread

Sunday cable news links [updated through the day]:

Matthews should spill the beans?

McCaffrey targeted for conflicts.

Q&A: Dennis Miller.

Tony spotting.

Huck in Atlanta: Q&A.

Christiane Amanpour's genocide special: Q&A.

Chris Matthews denies. Deja vu firing demand.

TMI?

O'Reilly Politico piece panned.

A very MSNBC Thanksgiving.

Thumbs up for Call Me Ted.

Sunday talkers: HuffPo recap.

Use our valuable bandwidth to post your comments on any and all cable news topics in this weekend's open thread. Standard rules apply.




Fox Fan
Gee, CNN helps terrorists target Americans again. At least they aren't playing Al Quaida propaganda anymore (we'll see how long that lasts). More of the same from the MSM supporting the party of change!
November 29, 2008, 11:09:10 AM EST – Like – Reply


Kirk G.
Please someone expalain to me the obession with prisons and MSNBC, my guess is some left wing thing but I just don't get it
November 29, 2008, 4:02:33 PM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
Please someone expalain to me the obession with prisons and MSNBC, my guess is some left wing thing but I just don't get it
Kirk G. | 11.29.08 - 4:07 pm | #  
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
It is really no different that Fox News' 24 hour Pep Rally for the Republican Party and normally those prison blocks MSNBC put on the weekends beats Fox News regular programming.
November 29, 2008, 7:54:29 PM EST – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Only in the 25-54 demo.
November 29, 2008, 8:45:46 PM EST – Like – Reply


Mike C.
"Tales from the Dad Side" update: I'm up to page 49.
November 29, 2008, 9:59:03 PM EST – Like – Reply


Cecelia
It is really no different that Fox News' 24 hour Pep Rally for the Republican Party and normally those prison blocks MSNBC put on the weekends beats Fox News regular programming.
Dem From Illinois | 11.29.08 - 7:59 pm | #  
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
No difference, huh?  
 
So FNC champions Republicans for a Republican constituency and MSNBC champions prison inmates for a liberal one...
November 29, 2008, 10:30:26 PM EST – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Part two of "Television and the Presidency" ran tonight. It covered 1972 to 1981. As with part one, this part was originally produced in 1984. I guess part three is next week and will cover 1988 to 1992. Then, part four is 1992 to 1996.
November 29, 2008, 11:18:38 PM EST – Like – Reply


Mike C.
I left out that "T&theP" was on FNC.
November 30, 2008, 12:30:08 AM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
T&tP was actually a spinoff of a series of ABC programs. ABC did a series of "The Making of the President" in conjunction with Theodore H White, who wrote the book of the same name. Apparently ABC did not continue the specials as time went on, because Theodore White then teamed up with Roger Ailes for these T&tP specials. The one tonight was excellent, and brought back many good (and bad) memories!
November 30, 2008, 12:56:08 AM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
It is really no different that Fox News' 24 hour Pep Rally for the Republican Party and normally those prison blocks MSNBC put on the weekends beats Fox News regular programming.
Dem From Illinois | 11.29.08 - 7:59 pm | #  
 
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
 
No difference, huh?  
 
So FNC champions Republicans for a Republican constituency and MSNBC champions prison inmates for a liberal one...
Cecelia | 11.29.08 - 10:35 pm | #  
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice spin, Cecelia, you know exactly what I meant.
November 30, 2008, 5:15:19 AM EST – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Nice spin, Cecelia, you know exactly what I meant.
Dem From Illinois | 11.30.08 - 5:20 am | #
 
I think I get what you were saying, DFI. Intelligent and already informed people turn off the TV for the weekend and live their lives. Slovenly dullards without social lives compress their couch cusions and watch MSNBC. Them and the criminal demo, as Cece said. I knew we could all agree on something!
November 30, 2008, 11:51:10 AM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
I think I get what you were saying, DFI. Intelligent and already informed people turn off the TV for the weekend and live their lives. Slovenly dullards without social lives compress their couch cusions and watch MSNBC. Them and the criminal demo, as Cece said. I knew we could all agree on something!
Fox Fan | 11.30.08 - 11:56 am
 
In all honesty it show me that people would rather watch shows about people in prisons than watch Fox News' weekend trainwreck, same old same old rehashing of Republican talking points.
Someone also needs to tell Fox News those "staged" Sarah Palin interview reruns by Greta will not change the results of the election, as much as Fox News wants the result to be different.
November 30, 2008, 12:54:12 PM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Fox News' weekend trainwreck, same old same old rehashing of Republican talking points.
 
This is the sort of ignorant drivel that virtually screams its worthlessness out loud.
November 30, 2008, 1:41:08 PM EST – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Thanks for the "T&tP" info, Johnny. Was Roger with Metromedia and were the "T&tP" specials originally produced by them?
November 30, 2008, 4:13:55 PM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
That I don't know!
November 30, 2008, 4:21:10 PM EST – Like – Reply


david smawley
Re the Indian atrocities, for at least a couple days CNN repeated the narrative that these terrorists were targeting American and British Nationals. Clearly this was not the case as the vast number of victims were in fact Indian citizens, yet nobody called them on this distortion. Sadly 6 American citizens lost their lives, but hundreds of citizens from India did as well. Just a puzzle to me re the spin on this tragedy.
November 30, 2008, 7:20:22 PM EST – Like – Reply


Kirk G.
I would be ashamed if I were MSNBC in regards to coverage of the India shooting.
November 30, 2008, 7:44:53 PM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
This is the sort of ignorant drivel that virtually screams its worthlessness out loud.
johnny dollar
 
 
Tell what is not true about that comment, Fox News favors what party then, I would be interested in knowing.
Tell me did or did not Roger Ailes not work for Rush Limbaugh and Ronald Reagan.
Fox sways Republican and MSNBC sways Democrat, CNN and BBC are right down the middle. It is no secret I just don't understand how any of you can say Fox is Fair and Balanced. Alot of liberalsm, who dislike Fox News for that very reason they throw this slogan at us and think we are stupid enough to believe it.
November 30, 2008, 9:25:44 PM EST – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Nice spin, Cecelia, you know exactly what I meant.
Dem From Illinois | 11.30.08 - 5:20 am | #  
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
It's not "spin" it's YOUR logic.
 
When we criticize MSNBC about bias, you say they're just the liberal version of FNC.  
 
So... Republicans like info on conservative/libertarian politics, liberals like to watch convicts throwing urine at prison guards...
November 30, 2008, 9:46:51 PM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Tell me did or did not Roger Ailes not work for Rush Limbaugh and Ronald Reagan.
 
Logical fallacy: ad hominem. You can claim Roger Ailes sold popcorn at the circus. It still does zero to establish your claim of "Fox News' weekend trainwreck, same old same old rehashing of Republican talking points." Do you deliberately try to avoid addressing the issue?
 
> Tell what is not true about that comment, Fox News favors what party then, I would be interested in knowing.
 
That's pretty neat, too. You make an absurd statement, then challenge others to prove it wrong. Only logic requires that the burden of proof is on the accuser. Rather than calling on me to prove it wrong, you have yet to establish it as anything other than some twisted opinion based on nothing whatsoever.
 
But I'm nothing if not a benevolent sort. I'll help you along, and direct you back to the subject matter you raised. Let's take today, the entire daytime line-up: from 9:00 am this morning until 8:00 pm tonight. Why don't you point out all the stories, coverage, etc today that back up your claim?
 
You see, that's the way it works. Making an unsupported generalization and then tossing in "Prove me wrong" doesn't cut it here.
November 30, 2008, 10:04:15 PM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
So... Republicans like info on conservative/libertarian politics, liberals like to watch convicts throwing urine at prison guards...
Cecelia | 11.30.08 - 9:51 pm | #  
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Yes,
Watching convicts "as you say throwing pee on guards", (which of course you never see on those programs) is still more interesting than listening to conservatives talk all day.
And as for you comment Johnny Dollar, I can run off a list of things that is wrong with Fox News on the weekend. But you would just spin it back and all we would do is go back and forth.
 
But is nice to know that you do basically admit that Fox News from 6-9am and from 8-10pm is basically the talking points I was talking about, which is way more than any other cable news network does show.
November 30, 2008, 10:34:04 PM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> I can run off a list of things that is wrong with Fox News on the weekend. But you would just spin it back
 
As I thought. You have nothing. Thanks for playing.
November 30, 2008, 10:39:42 PM EST – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Yes,
Watching convicts "as you say throwing pee on guards", (which of course you never see on those programs) is still more interesting than listening to conservatives talk all day.
 
Dem From Illinois | 11.30.08 - 10:39 pm | #  
 
Exactly. And since there IS other tv fare than the two types you present, and MSNBC prison docs do get big ratings, we can conclude that liberals love them some violent prison inmates.
 
Glad you've come clean. Now apologize for accusing me of spinning.
December 1, 2008, 12:25:13 AM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
Glad you've come clean. Now apologize for accusing me of spinning.
Cecelia | 12.01.08 - 12:30 am | #  
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Well yes, after the last eight years, most of American would rather watch Prison shows that listen to Republicans talk. For that I apologize for accusing you of spinning.
 
Regardless Johnny, you can listen to people like Cavauto, Jarrett and Hannity just hear their snide little comments about Pres-Elect Obama, Cavauto on of the highly rated Fox Business Network talk daily about the Obama Selloff, and Johnny since you are surely a conservative does any proof I show you really matter.  
 
Also you did not respond to My Fox and Friends and Hannity's America comment. Why? Because you know the truth? Are you cannot face the facts. It just kills you and Fox that Obama won, Fox while I will admit has great ratings, tried their hardest to show McCain and Palin 24 hours a day to get them elected.
The more Fox showed McCain and Palin the more their poll ratings dropped, so liberals like me want to thank the Fox News network for helping get Obama elected.........and what I find extremely funny is the Obama will not even speak to them, why, not because Fox will ask the hard question, which of course will not happen, because Fox asked such hard questions to Sarah Palin didn't they, it is because they (fox) while a ratings winner, has no credibility like CNN. It might be hard for you to swallow, but deep down you know the truth and that just kills you.
December 1, 2008, 4:56:07 AM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Well, buried in that steaming pile of nonsense (in which almost every statement you make is demostrably and provably false, no surprise there) you have seen fit to directly go after me personally. I'd like to know on what you base the statement that it "just kills me" that Obama won. You've had a fine old time smearing Fox with falsehoods, but I draw the line when you go after me personally.
 
So back up your statement about me with documentation. Quote back my words to me. I expect you to give me chapter and verse on how it kills me that Obama won. Alternatively, if you can't do that and once again retreat from the challenge without presenting evidence, then I expect you to take back when you said and apologize.
December 1, 2008, 8:24:58 AM EST – Like – Reply


Cecelia
It might be hard for you to swallow, but deep down you know the truth and that just kills you.
Dem From Illinois | 12.01.08 - 5:01 am | #
 
Well, here you are belying your own words again.
 
You say "most" Americans would rather watch prison shows than FNC (though they don't...) and you say that you'd rather be doing anything other than hearing "Republican talking points" by watching Fox.  
 
Yet here you are on a blog that follows cable news in general and FNC in particular. Here you are reading the words of someone you've called an ultra conservative (for no other expressed opinion other than a liking for Bill O'Reilly.)
 
Yet here you are essentially following FNC and following the only folks you say who follow FNC-- Republicans.  
 
Here you are.
 
Obviously, far from any one of us being distressed about anything, it's YOU who have sought out a blog about a channel you disdain, in order to lecture people over views you'd rather watch doc blocks than to hear.
 
If anyone is piqued, distressed, obsessed, (to the point of relentlessly contradicting your own words)-- it's you.
 
It's easy to see that FNC just kills you...
December 1, 2008, 10:43:05 AM EST – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Phil, I'm sorry to continue to draw Patrick parallels, but he misspelled Cavuto, too. I know you've said repeatedly that you're not him, I've apologized, and we've made peace with each other, but I had to point out the similarity.
December 1, 2008, 12:08:11 PM EST – Like – Reply


Observer Dan
So I tune in to "Lockup" on MSNBC while channel surfing last weekend. I was shocked to learn that one particular inmate made a habit out of using his own semen as a sort of 'gunky ink' to create an impression of his penis , then he gave this to his favorite female prison guard as a sort of valentine. After that MSNBC went on to share the story of another inmate who is infatuated with man "booty", as he put it.
One wonders what 'demo' they are going after with this stuff.
December 1, 2008, 2:05:36 PM EST – Like – Reply


Ashley
It appears we have another lib here who is on a futile mission to convince the world that FNC is evil, offering only their opinion as if it were fact.
December 1, 2008, 2:21:41 PM EST – Like – Reply


Ashley
Observer Dan | 12.01.08 - 2:10 pm | #  
 
They ignored Mumbai when that started, yet they spend time on this? They probably repeated that show 12 times over the weekend.
 
Back in the 90's, I had high hopes for MSNBC when it started. I also had high hopes for FNC, at least I was right about that one.
December 1, 2008, 2:24:00 PM EST – Like – Reply


Interloper
My guess is that the already-paid for prison shows that draw higher ratings are a cheap fix for MSNBC while they try to build their news/commentary base. They really need to add another starter to their team, to use a sports analogy. Now Matthews days are apparently numbered before he runs in PA, Joe doesn't seem to be working out that well, the need to develop more talent is even more pronounced.
 
But it can be done. None of us probably predicted Maddow would do as well as she has. I like her approach a lot better than the buffoonery of Oblberman.  
 
Between Olby's show and Maddow, they avoided their previous ratings free-fall. You can certainly argue their approach, but it seems to be working better for them these days.
 
If MSNBC wants to continue this left-driven approach, they need to improve it. Otherwise, they might as well fold up the news division and show predators and prisons 24/7.
December 1, 2008, 3:38:44 PM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
johnny dollar | Homepage | 12.01.08 - 8:29 am |  
 
Well of course I do not have documented sources, But it is easy to realize that you are a republican
 
The reasons are
A. You have a website that supports Fox News, and we all know Fox loves Republicans
B. Your dislike MSNBC which of course supports Democrats
C. By the way you got all pissy when I questioned your political affiliation.
D. You dislike for Newshounds which is a Democrat driven site.
E. Most of your links are from Republican driven website
F. You dislke of Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews
G. The people who post here are 90% conservatives
 
Johnny you need to practice what you preach why don't you be a little more fair and balanced just like Fox News says they are. I know some people who were banned from here that post over at Newshounds who all say as soon as you question the Great Mark Koldys you might as well take your ball and go home, which probably will happen to me after this posts.
December 1, 2008, 9:47:24 PM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Well you finally said one thing right. But all your documented 'reasons' are just unsupported opinions or outright falsehoods. You are accusing me of politics and impugning my motivations. You claim to know what candidates I supported and which ones I opposed. I asked you to back that up by quoting me. You haven't quoted one sentence from me that supports anything you claimed! This kind of crap is precisely why personal attacks are not allowed here.
 
People from newshounds post here all the time. The ones who get banned are the ones who break the rules, and you seem to be angling to join their august company. So you can keep citing the website that threatens to shut J$P down if I dare to post even one comment there. That's your frame of reference, and man does it show.
 
So here's your last chance. You can support your attack on me with proof: quote my own words to support what you say. There must be all kinds of things to 'prove' that I hate Obama and supported McCain, right? (A string of seven unsupported opinions and lies does not qualify as proof, by the way.) Or...you can take it back and apologize. The ball's in your court, pal. Where it goes is up to you.
December 1, 2008, 10:04:43 PM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
First of all nobody at Newshounds wants to shut your site down, and second tell me which one of the seven things I stated are not true and I will take it back.
December 1, 2008, 10:25:55 PM EST – Like – Reply


Ashley
Dem From Illinois | 12.01.08 - 9:52 pm | #
 
Wow J$, I'm surprised DFI didn't start calling you a NAZI.  
 
As I said earlier, some people are on futile missions to make everyone think that FNC is evil, providing only their opinion as if it were fact.
 
Perhaps not Patrick, but not as smart as Patrick.
December 1, 2008, 10:27:26 PM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
As I said earlier, some people are on futile missions to make everyone think that FNC is evil, providing only their opinion as if it were fact
Ashley | 12.01.08 - 10:32 pm | #  
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
I never said Fox News was evil Hitler was evil, I am saying I just do not see who the can call theirselves 'Fair and Balanced"  
As for the matter for my opinions there are many credible web site who all the same about Fox News, along with many media sources, not just me.
Even Newsweek and Time Magazine say that Fox News is conservative.
December 1, 2008, 10:57:18 PM EST – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> First of all nobody at Newshounds wants to shut your site down....
 
Well that's just a lie. Ellen has threatened over and over, on at least a half dozen websites, to file harrassment complaints against my ISP to shut down my internet access if I dare to post comments on newshounds. The fact that you defend such activity is interesting.
 
> tell me which one of the seven things I stated are not true and I will take it back.
 
Which one?!? I can tick them off but sorry, this isn't about me having to prove myself innocent of your accusations. I don't have the burden of proof. It's about you proving correct your claims about who I wanted for President, and how I'm so upset about the election, etc etc. That's still in your court, and nothing further will advance until you resolve that one way or another.
December 1, 2008, 11:02:52 PM EST – Like – Reply


Dem From Illinois
Ok Johnny I will play.
 
A. Is your website pro Fox News (Ding)
B. Do you dislike MSNBC (Ding)
C.Did you get mad when I questioned you political choice (Ding)
D. You must have went to Newshounds and trolled around so you dislike them (Ding)
E.Your website is driven by Republican talking points (Ding)
F.You dislike Olbermann and Matthews (Ding) you even have an anti Olbermann site.
G.That 90% of the people who post here are Conservative (well Ding again) WOW 7 for 7
I will not apologize for what I said, as a lawyer you should realize there is enough circumstantial evidence to prove it.  
And if Ellen did try to shut you down it is because you must have really pissed her off , we know Olby sucks trolls around a Newshounds along with Fox Fan and a few others, shoot Os changed his IP address to post when he gets banned. Shoot to be honest I changed my IP address to get back over here, yes Mike I am who you say I am. I am the dreaded Patrick you talk so keenly about. And yes Mike I do have an autistic child I would not lie about that.
But Johnny honestly Johnny how long can you keep this Fox News drivel up,
come January 20 where will Fox get their daily White House briefings from, are they just going to call Wasilla and hope your favorite stooge answers the phone. Because that is about as close as Fox News will get to getting a backstage pass to Obama, and it is their own fault. And as the great Olbermann would say "Good Night and Good Luck" because FOX will sure as hell need it.
December 2, 2008, 3:44:05 AM EST – Like – Reply