3/21/09 11:50 PM

Tuesday Links & Open Thread

Latest cable news links [7:52 pm]:

Nauert: new media befuddle Bill?

FNC goes hi-def on Thursday!

David Gregory replacing Chris Matthews?

Juan Williams's despair?

Hillary on The Factor! Reax: Kurtz, SFGate. Outrage ensues!

Revealed: it was Griff!

Monday's numbers. Weekend numbers.

Most influential pundits: 40-31.

Hotline quotes.

Jack Flack's tack.

Another discussion about "Race"?

Who's skanky now?

What does this mean?

Live from Omaha, it's Saturday night.

ObamaWatch causes schism?

Use our valuable bandwidth to post your comments on any and all cable news topics in today's open thread. Standard rules apply.




johnny dollar
Melissa, off-topic on another thread, issued a challenge that would prove how badly biased Fox News is:
 
>Count up all the Dems and Reps today I'll count up the Republicans on O'Reilly and H&C tonight. I suggest you do the same for the Dems.  
 
Well it's way after midnight and Melissa hasn't shown up with her count. Why would that be? Well, in case she DOES show up, I'll save her the trouble. I did a count of FNC primetime tonight and here's what I got:
 
Republican/Conservative: Gingrich, Coulter, Comstock, Goldberg (4)
 
Democratic/Liberal: Schoen, Lowery, Heldman, Littman, Cloyd, Williams (6)
 
Independent: Morris, Friedman (2)
 
So that's 6 Dems to 4 Repubs. 6 to 5 if you want to claim (falsely) that Morris is a conservative. Wow. Boy is Fox News biased!!
 
Now if "Melissa" is who I think (s)he is, we will never hear about tonight's count again, nor will we hear from "Melissa" for a while. Of course I could be wrong. We'll see.
April 29, 2008, 1:05:35 AM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Re: "What does this mean?"
 
There was a short glitch on Monday's night's Factor broadcast and this image popped up for a split second. What do you think it suggests? Mike, no guesses from you, because you're the one who told ME the answer!
April 29, 2008, 1:39:46 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
I was please at first to see Gregory get the position, but on reflection, I'm not surprised that Gregory's show is not doing well. It is a mess. Gregory, a superbly talented reporter, one of the first to hold the Administration's feet to the fire when the rest of the White House Press Corps was still prostrate before Bush, doesn't really have moderator or anchor skills. In education, good teachers are "promoted" to become poor principals; in the media, good reporters are "promoted" to become anchors. It's all very odd. The world is full of good principals and good anchors. The base description is simply skills. The world has few good teachers are good reporters. The job description is complex. Attitude, demeanor, presence, creativity are all required. Teaching and reporting are arts. Gregory is an artist, and he has abandoned his media, his milieu. No wonder he is floundering.
 
Secondly, the format is monstrously clumsy. Four (4) pundits fighting for airtime .... It was a disaster waiting to happen.
April 29, 2008, 7:34:32 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Grammie
One of the posters on DC Head left this linK
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwP-Yh8pbQ
 
I'll have that buzzing throught my head all dead, no doubt.
April 29, 2008, 8:05:12 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Grammie
I wouldn't have thought anyone could make KO look like a piker but Stoddard is obviously fighting hard to out KO KO.
 
I don't know what it means?
 
I,m hoping Mike will tell us later!
April 29, 2008, 8:14:51 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
It had its moments, but making Obama look like O.J. was an especially low blow on that video, Grammie.
 
The lyrics were pretty lame too.
 
Of course "brown paper packages tied up with string" is more indicative of the Clintons and their Asian campaign donors... :D
April 29, 2008, 9:06:33 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Well, it had the letters SDI, Johnny.
 
Signal Deficit Illness?
April 29, 2008, 9:14:30 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
This may seem a bit off topic as I get into this, but bear with me a bit, as I think I bring it back around.
 
My sense is, Rev. Wright notwithtanding, Senator Obama is going to weather the storm and squeak by with the nomination. If this happens, and I am not 100% confident about this, and the presidential race is Senator Obama v. Senator McCain, do we see some change in the attitude of the media covering Senator Obama? Does he become a more difficult commodity to handle when the insulation of Senator Clinton is worn away? Senator Obama will have renewed, perhaps increased legitimacy. Does this make the racial questions others have injected safer or trickier?
 
Most, but not all people, fairly or unfairly, see the last vestiges of racism residing comfortably in the Republican party. That is not my view, not my conclusion. I tend to view racism as a factor, a far greater factor than it once was, permeating American society at all levels, not exclusively in the Republican party. Yet, the party seems adept and hell-bent at picking at the scab. Historically, we have Bush I with Willie Horton and Bush II with Katrina. Contemporaneously, we witness the North Carolina Republican Party ad. Won't this type of ad, and McCain's for it-against it-for it, again stance be all the more glaring absent some of the shadows falling on Senator Clinton, particularly the shadows around President Clinton?
 
And, if there is some (mis-)perception of institutional, latent racism within the Republican party, does that extend to the media under some scenario? Rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly, FNC is perceived by many as somehow adjunct to the Republican party. Although I tend to think that incorrect, it is a reality. Does the racism shadow follow the Republican party into the FNC studios?
 
I think this answer to that is not necessarily so, but does FNC do anything to preemptively rebut the charge? For example, we take the ABC debate and the Wallace interview. In both, Rev. Wright received considerable play, more than warranted most viewers seem to have said with reference to ABC. I can't answer as to FNC. So, we have a wash.  
 
We have a dichotomy when it comes to Hannity, however. On television, he speaks of Rev. Wright nightly, more than his competitors, but not abnormally so, perhaps. But, Hannity is walking a finer line. Going in, being more susceptible to a racism charge, he is perceived as being more racially oriented. Then, we have the Hannity of the radio who, in recent days, speaks of nothing other than Rev. Wright, or so it would seem. If this focus, this volume, this amount of dedicated time were in the television context, I tend to think Hannity would be in a world of trouble, as would FNC. Greater license seems to be given to radio.
 
If we assume, as I tend to believe, McCain will be reaching his peak in the next couple of weeks, if he has not already done so, do we in a flaling effort to salvage the election, have the same shrillness we had
April 29, 2008, 9:27:49 AM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Well, it had the letters SDI, Johnny.
 
Well it IS the letters that suggest something.
April 29, 2008, 9:30:11 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
... in a flailing effort to salvage the election have the ame shirllness we had in Bush I's re-election bid and Bush II's first campaign? That presents an opportunity for something sordid, tawdry, ugly.
 
Already, we have challenges. If my assumptions are correct, we emerge from the nomination process marked and stained. Beck, Crowley, Dobbs, Hannity and to a lesser extent O'Reilly are already compromised. If my assumptions are incorrect, Olbermann shares this fate.
 
Into this bruised field of journalists, we then interject race and racism? A very difficult, but very interesting series of events to watch.
April 29, 2008, 9:34:22 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
... making Obama look like O.J. was an especially low blow on that video, Grammie.
 
-
 
Thank you, Cecelia.
April 29, 2008, 9:35:13 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
"Thank you", for what, OTM?  
 
Not having a taste for spin or blowing smoke?
April 29, 2008, 9:50:35 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
I'm tempted google "SDI" (and ignore the references to Star Wars), but I want to see the other guesses.
April 29, 2008, 9:53:18 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
OTM, if you're asking that if Obama is the nominee will he then be inured to the effects of the Rev Wright and will the tactic of shouting racism against anyone who dares to criticize him (based the only record the man has) become more effective--- I'd say it's a risky proposition.
 
You must still continue to weigh your standard fare of squelching opposition via the race card with the candidate's own personae of bringing the country together. Aside for his stance on the war, THAT to paraphrase one sage-- is the highest coin this relatively inexperienced politician possesses.
April 29, 2008, 10:06:20 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
Now that we know that the Rev. Barbara Reynolds, a self-styled "enthusiastic Clinton supporter" was the driving force behind the Rev. Wright's appearance before the National Press Club yesterday, it will be interesting to see how this information is handled. I don't really see this as any great scandal, not even sordid, and I expect it may be largely ignored. However, the extremists, Olbermann and Hannity, may have something to say.
April 29, 2008, 10:17:43 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Grammie
Cecelia, I will revisit that link.
 
I was concentrating on the, what is the precise word, streaming lyrics and really didn't see much of the graphics.
 
As I predicted earlier I am humming most of the songs from the Sound of Music.
April 29, 2008, 10:47:47 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Grammie
"I'm tempted google "SDI" (and ignore the references to Star Wars), but I want to see the other guesses.
Cecelia | 04.29.08 - 9:58 am | # "
 
Cecelia, not having your restraint and self discipline I googled "SDI" in a New York second.
 
If there is something there I didn't see it.
April 29, 2008, 10:54:11 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Grammie, I'd dig deeper into the mystery, but now I'm too busy googling the definitions for "restraint" and "self discipline". Whazzz that?... :D
April 29, 2008, 11:01:02 AM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
I don't think Googling SDI will help you. I think once you figure out what that sequence stands for, you then have to make a deduction about what it suggests. You might want to keep in mind the fact that FNC has just tweaked their on-screen graphics.
April 29, 2008, 11:08:53 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
It means that a clip O'Reilly was going to play caused the whole show to go belly-up for 10 seconds because it and the new graphics overloaded the system?
April 29, 2008, 11:17:27 AM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Cold.
April 29, 2008, 11:21:04 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike Chimeri
The problem did not re-occur in the 11PM and 5AM repeats. I think "SDI" might have something to do with FNC simulcasting in HD soon, as was reported here a few weeks ago. I don't know what the "I" stands for, but "SD" is "Standard Definition."
If anybody wants to see the video I sent Johnny that led to the vidcap he used here, e-mail me at: mikechimeri@gmail.com
April 29, 2008, 12:56:23 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Hillary on The Factor!
 
Since Clinton supporters are Democrats (though other Dems get fuzzy on that fact when it comes to what they call racist campaign tactics against Obama), I'm assuming that we're going to see among nutroots yet another psychotic breakdown over a Democrat "validating" FNC?  
 
Or is there a dynamic there that I'm not considering?
April 29, 2008, 1:05:02 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Oh it's already begun. I'll be keeping an eye on the outrage for a future post.
April 29, 2008, 1:06:06 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
Many Democrats never considered President Clinton a Democrat, and they don't consider Senator Clinton a Democrat. I am in that camp. They are both far too conservative to be entitled to call themselves Democrats, so I expect the outrage, which seems to command so much interest by some, will be far less intense. Such outrage as there is may be more to needle (Senator) Clinton than to express disgust with the FRWM
April 29, 2008, 1:15:33 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Sarah
The Clinton camp must know they are in trouble and they are making the last push and with who better Mr. O` and we know this is going to be a very polite chat among friend
April 29, 2008, 1:16:17 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Fear not currently non-Democrat Clintons and your supporters. When the primary is over, all will pass and all Democrats will once again join hands with the first black president and his wife (who will either be candidate or candidate supporter.)
 
You will sing "We Shall Overcome" in answer to all those racist campaign tactics that Republicans waged against Obama.  
 
"Bill Shaheen, who?"
April 29, 2008, 1:36:49 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
OTM, we know your of talents in the field of circus clown, but I'm struck by your obvious desire to be a magician.
 
Whether it's the Clintons and their followers or the worst of Rev. Wright, you say the magic words to yourself and then declare them 'disappeared'...
April 29, 2008, 1:46:08 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Johnny, this goes in the scrapbook of yet another thing a Republican had better never say (on a cable tv show or elsewhere...):
 
"'NC Gov. Easley endorses Clinton...
 
...She's No 'Pansy'"
 
:D
April 29, 2008, 2:07:50 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
With apologies for breaking the string of three (3) off topic posts, I found the TELEGRAPH blurb about Gingrich interesting, telling and, perhaps, on-target:
 
36. NEWT GINGRICH  
 
The author of the Contract with America and leader of the Republican Revolution in 1990s has lost some of his lustre after the loss of Congress in 2006, but remains one of the most persuasive critics of the Democrats.  
 
Will be a key man in Fox’s assault on Obama or Clinton in the presidential election.  
 
Not that I have any problem with that role, only that it is rare to see such a flash of candor anyplace these days.
April 29, 2008, 2:25:21 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olbysucks
There lays the 'good reverend' in the middle of the street all bloody w/2 sets of Goodyear tracks. obama ran him over then backed over him hoping to pick up a few more votes.
 
On another note, Hillary is 'too conservative!' Apparently, philby has never seen Hillary's voting record. Sean Penn or Susan Syranwrap have nothing on philby!
April 29, 2008, 2:33:00 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Sean Penn or Susan Syranwrap have nothing on philby!
olbysucks | 04.29.08 - 2:38 pm | #  
 
OMG, Olbysucks, Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon have more intellectual honesty than OTM in their little fingers.
April 29, 2008, 2:42:38 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
OK I'm away from the computer for a bit and things start to drift. Please do not stray too far from cable news topics and related ancillary issues. And please avoid insulting or attacking other posters. Take on their logic or argumentation, but let's not get personal. K?
April 29, 2008, 2:48:43 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olbysucks
2 lashes for Cecelia and I get to give em.'  
April 29, 2008, 2:52:04 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
SDI=Serial Digital Interface in TV broadcasting. It suggests that they are utilizing component interface connectivity, likely as a medium for their new HD broadcast equipment.
April 29, 2008, 3:29:09 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Mike told me he thought the SD meant standard definition, to identify the standard def feed. That suggested that a hi-def feed would not be far in the future. Boy was he right. See the link just added.
April 29, 2008, 3:35:22 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Melissa
So many lies, so little time. Let's start with something Johnny said in the other thread before I obliterate his "guest list" for last night. Here is what Johnny claimed:
 
"Krauthammer is not part of the regular panel. He's a fill-in."
 
This is easily Johnny's most transparent falsehood. And it doesn't take long to prove that. So what's an objective way to prove that Johnny isn't telling the truth? Well, let's have a look at the Fox News Channel's Special Report transcripts. Knowing Johnny is like most Republican bloggers, when you prove he's wrong, he'll simply claim you cherry picked it. So naturally we'll just use the last two weeks of the Special Report with Brit Hume as our test sheet--that way he can't claim I went back five months and found some "fluke" period when Krauthammer was a regular panel member.
 
So, how many times has Krauthammer appeared in the last two weeks? Using transcripts from Fox News and RCP, Krauthammer was a panel member on the Special Report with Brit Hume on the following dates in the previous two weeks.
 
15th
16th
17th
18th (Friday)
21st (Monday)
24th
25th (Friday)
28th (yesterday)
 
So, according to the Fox News Channel's own website, Charles Krauthammer has appeared in 8 (EIGHT) of the last 10 (TEN) All-Star Panels in the previous two weeks. If I missed any days, feel free to correct me, the list is here http://www.foxnews.com/column_archive/0,2976,74,00.html
 
So, Johnny, would you like to take back your blatantly false claim that Krauthammer isn't a regular member of the All-Star Panel, or do you honestly believe that 8 appearances out of 10 opportunities is a subpar batting average? Before I move on to the next subject and humiliate you there as well, of course.
April 29, 2008, 3:37:45 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olbysucks
>Count up all the Dems and Reps today I'll count up the Republicans on O'Reilly and H&C tonight. I suggest you do the same for the Dems.  
 
postd by melisa
 
Where does it say Hume?
April 29, 2008, 3:46:36 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
That's what fill-ins do; they fill in when the regular (mara) isn't there. Mara has been off a lot lately, as have others, and Krauthammer filled in not just for her but for others as well. Why do you limit your survey to two weeks? Why don't you tell the whole story? And who else was on or off those days?
 
But never mind that. I'll address this more fully when you address what you said was the proof, the definitive evidence of your claim. Counting the guests last night. My count is at the very top of this thread. Since you said counting the guests would tell the tale, doesn't that pretty much resolve your argument?
April 29, 2008, 3:48:05 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Melissa
I'm also curious, Johnny, as to your explanation that if Fox News truly believes Mara LIasson, a former registered Republican, represents the "liberal" point of view on the panel, why is she so often substituted with Krauthammer?
 
And, of course, do you consider a debate between conservatives Fred Barnes and Charles Krauthammer, with Mort Kondracke in the middle, to be a balanced debate? Even if you make the false claim that Kondracke is liberal, it's still lopsided.
 
And by the way, your claim that Brit Hume does not offer his opinion during these panels is just about the dumbest claim I've seen on this website.
April 29, 2008, 3:49:54 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Melissa, you're not winning any hearts or minds here. The posters at this site actually watch FNC and see the balance of guests. You can take your argument of bias to another cable news channel blog, start with MSNBC or CNN. You'd have a much easier time proving bias at one of those.
 
Johnny, 720p? Here I was waiting for some 1080i/p! Muy mal...
April 29, 2008, 3:50:13 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Johnny, 720p? Here I was waiting for some 1080i/p! Muy mal...
 
Fox uses 720p for their broadcast network as well. I'm happy with it because my set is 720p!
April 29, 2008, 3:52:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
The Gregory replacement of Matthews is becoming conventional wisdom these days. I suspect it is going to happen. While I enjoy Matthews' commentary I only do so in small doses. An hour of his over-bearing talk-overs, stuttering and strained metaphors is a bit too much. However, there is nothing I see on Gregory that indicates an improvement is likely. Maybe, if Gregory drops the four (4) talking boxes format and adopts a Matthews-like format. Even better, the (non-MTP) Russert format .... I'm sure the latter would not be considered glitzy enough for the afternoon, early evening set, but I suspect it might suit Gregory. Of course, I still wish he were an actual reporter.
April 29, 2008, 3:57:12 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Melissa
"Why do you limit your survey to two weeks?"
 
Because if I went back five months you'd claimed I cherrypicked it. Eight appearances in ten shows is not a fill-in, he's a regular. "Mara has been off a lot lately". No she hasn't, that's a blatant "you got lucky" rebuttal. You're trying to claim that it's just a coincidence that Krauthammer has been showing up more in the last 2 weeks and I'm not going to take that serious. "It's a coincidence" isn't an argument. It's an excuse.
 
"Since you said counting the guests would tell the tale, doesn't that pretty much resolve your argument?"
 
Well since you left me with the distinct impression that you would delete my posts if I counted up the guests and then posted them, I didn't bother watching O'Reilly's show and only caught a glimpse of H&C last night, in which I saw Gingrich and Morris with two segments a piece.
 
If you want to count it up again tonight, I'll watch, by all means. However, I'm not going to take serious your claim that the people you posted, other than Schoen, are Democrats. You have a habit of claiming someone represents the "liberal" point of view on H&C even if they're brought on in a non-political subject and they've simply given money to Democrats. And your repeated claim that Dick Morris is not a Republican is brazenly dishonest. Morris is a conservative. He joined Clinton's campaign to help Clinton weave CONSERVATIVE positions into his agenda, hence triangulation. He doesn't work for Democrats anymore, only Republicans, and his appearances all involve bashing Clinton and other Democrats.
 
If you're going to sit here and claim that Dick Morris is a neutral observer, there's simply no way a reasonable person can take you serious. You're being blatantly dishonest for sake of argument. He's a partisan hack and you know it.
April 29, 2008, 4:03:59 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Vince
Melissa: why are you boring us with your compulsive obsessions?
April 29, 2008, 4:09:47 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
I checked two weeks of March and only found Krauthammer on I think 3 times, with Juan Williams often filling in. Because of his NPR commitments he is not always available for the panel. That's also why Mara is not on Fridays. So I'm not going to take your two week "example" as proof that the panel is not Hume-Kondracke-Liason, since everyone else posting here knows that it is.
 
> I didn't bother watching
 
Very convenient. Why am I not surprised?
 
> I'm not going to take serious your claim that the people you posted, other than Schoen, are Democrats.
 
Well if you don't take "serious" what I write, why are you here? Are you claiming Rev Lowery and Rev Cloyd, both of whom are Obama defenders, are not Democrats? Or that Heldman, who campaigned and worked for a Democratic Congressman from Washington, is not a Democrat? Or Littman, an Obama supporter, is only pretending?
 
You chose the playing field, you chose the terms, and as soon as it didn't come out your way, oooh, maybe two out of three? Sorry, pal.  
 
And watch the personal attacks or you will find your messages edited or worse.
April 29, 2008, 4:19:42 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
I guess Fox isn't "moderate" enough for Melissa. To Kos kids, Keith is "moderate". Guess what girlie, your "proofs" are more like "poofs".
April 29, 2008, 4:21:28 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Melissa
"The posters at this site actually watch FNC and see the balance of guests. "
 
I watch FNC, and I notice the lopsided guest list. It's not my fault your blinded by ideology. If you're naive enough to believe a news channel that runs banners at the bottom of the screen like, "Will Democrats crush the economy?" is politically neutral, that's your problem.
 
I don't expect to win "hearts or minds". Most Republicans aren't actually dumb enough to believe Fox isn't in the tank for them, hence the litany of people I can quote, on the right, who admit Fox is biased.
April 29, 2008, 4:26:48 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
And I can quote people on the left who say it isn't: Terry McAuliffe and Ed Rendell, for example.
April 29, 2008, 4:30:02 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
Johnny: I normally wouldn't correct philosophical classifications, but I just can't let your comment above pass. There is no way McAuliffe and Rendell are on the left. Democrats to be sure, by party label, but decidedly center of the road. In fact, a bit to the right of center.
April 29, 2008, 4:33:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Well I'm not aware of what right-wing positions McAuliffe or Rendell hold, nor am I aware of what left-wing positions they reject, but I'm willing to be enlightened.
April 29, 2008, 4:39:36 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olbysucks
How long before you claim hillary is a 'neocon,' philby?
April 29, 2008, 4:42:33 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
Standardized testing, death penalty and an absence of gun regulation, for a starter, fo Rendell. For McAuliffe, who really knows? He is a Clintonista, so I would presume we start with unbridled trade and end with pro-Iraq war.
April 29, 2008, 4:53:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike Chimeri
I was wrong about the SD in SDI, but SD by itself does mean Standard Definition. SDI is Serial Data Interface. I'm sorry I misled based on my incorrect assumption.
Nevertheless, Cablevision will not carry FNC HD because they don't care about customers like me. If I wasn't so spent from posting pictures from my concert Saturday night on my blog, I'd make another post bashing Cablevision for not adding channels many customers want. But who knows? Maybe people that FNC HD, FBN, Boomerang, ESPNU, etc., are merely fringe Cablevision customers.
April 29, 2008, 4:58:14 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Death penalty is a right-wing position? Not in my book, but you can count it if you like. Rendell believes in no regulation of guns? I'm not aware of that, but how does that make him any different from Ed Schultz?
 
> For McAuliffe, who really knows?
 
A minute ago you were insisting that I was wrong about him being left of center, and now you're saying you have no idea what his positions are? (Presumptions don't count!)
April 29, 2008, 5:00:24 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
but I'm willing to be enlightened.
johnny dollar | Homepage | 04.29.08 - 4:44 pm 
 
Well, Johnny, I'm willing to get an Olympic quality swimming pool from a gopher hole but that doesn't mean that I can or will.
 
More to the point, you're not going get anything here but an experience akin to trying to fish a bug out of dishwater. As soon as you think you have it, it floats away.
April 29, 2008, 5:00:52 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> I'm sorry I misled based on my incorrect assumption.
 
Well, I still give you credit. Because even if you were technically wrong, you still came up with the correct conclusion: HD is coming.
April 29, 2008, 5:01:37 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
I'm happier with 720 than 480, that's 240 more ways I can count that I love Megyn Kelly!
April 29, 2008, 5:11:16 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Grammie
From what I read it is going to be limited pretty much to the New York mkt and I didn't see FIOS mentioned, which is what I have!
April 29, 2008, 5:27:10 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
I note that Huffington Post is running my O'Reilly soundbite but without linking to me or my article. They just took the soundbite and put it on their server. Verrrry classy. Not.
April 29, 2008, 5:29:34 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
How much you want to bet that Drudge finds that one first and links to it on his "DEVELOPING" headline...
April 29, 2008, 5:55:41 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olbysucks
There is no way McAuliffe and Rendell are on the left. Democrats to be sure, by party label, but decidedly center of the road. In fact, a bit to the right of center.
On The Mark | 04.29.08 - 4:38 pm | # 
 
Standardized testing, death penalty and an absence of gun regulation, for a starter, fo Rendell. For McAuliffe, who really knows? He is a Clintonista, so I would presume we start with unbridled trade and end with pro-Iraq war.
On The Mark | 04.29.08 - 4:58 pm | # 
 
Translation: shooting off mouth....
April 29, 2008, 6:00:26 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike Chimeri
Correction to my earlier comment: "Maybe people that *want* FNC HD, FBN, Boomerang, ESPNU, etc., are merely fringe Cablevision customers." I left out the word "want."
 
>There is no way McAuliffe and Rendell are on the left.<
They're center left.
 
>Well, I still give you credit. Because even if you were technically wrong, you still came up with the correct conclusion: HD is coming.<
Yeah, that's true. Thank you, Johnny.
April 29, 2008, 6:52:56 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
I will ignore the petty barbs and chronically off topic posts by a couple of fellow posters, Johnny, and simply say as to McAuliffe, he is not an office holder, he is not running for office. He reflects the policies of a candidate who I believe to be right of center. Are those his deep-felt beliefs? I don't know, but you don't know, either. However, you base your opinion of McAuliffe on a self-serving, brown-nosing statement of McAuliffe. I think that shifts the burden to you. Of course, it's not that important, because it all depends where one places the center. I think we can say that I place the center further to the left than you do, you place it further to the right than I, but I bet our centers are different than virtually every other poster here. So, our characterizations may be illusions.
April 29, 2008, 7:50:13 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
And if Terry McAuliffe just happens to have been chairman of the Democratic Party at one point...well...row...row...row your boat...life is but a dream....
April 29, 2008, 9:41:15 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
I know I don't speak for most commenters here, but I appreciate OTM's consistently non-abrasive differing POVs. He posts with ideas, and while they are counter to what many here believe, including myself, he does so with tact. Never personal attacks (that I have seen).
 
Now, Melissa OTOH frequently posts personal attacks and is fair game. OTM should be treated with a little respect, despite his alternate views, because of his consistent courtesy.
April 29, 2008, 9:46:01 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Not directed at you, Cecelia, just saying in general. Your post appeared as I was typing.
April 29, 2008, 9:47:35 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Oh, I agree entirely, Fox Fan. Both Melissa and OTM should be treated with exactly the same respect and sincerity they render.
April 29, 2008, 9:53:46 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike Chimeri
Just agree to disagree with OTM. He's harmless. Melissa is not and neither is sknabt.
April 29, 2008, 10:18:59 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On the Mark
How fascinating the media is! 
 
Yesterday, all day, on all the cable networks. Wright! wright! Wright! Tonight, Obama, largely unbroken by commentary, at least on CNN and MSNBC (I haven't made it to FNC this evening). I don't know if unlimited time compensates for the damage done by Wright during the first part of the week, but if it does, Obama has it.
 
When there is commentary, we have Clinton's most formidable media lapdog, Crowley, practically in tears over the painful and moving speech. One of the threads I have picked up on, women are going to feel sorry for Obama, they are going to respect him for standing up. I don't know. It's a bit simplistic, but sometimes the simplest things are best. I suppose we'll find out soon.
April 29, 2008, 11:17:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
More importantly, why were there only four questions in the Culture Quiz tonight?
April 29, 2008, 11:54:23 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olbysucks
Tonight, Obama, largely unbroken by commentary, at least on CNN and MSNBC 
 
posted by philby
 
Ya don't say? You mean to tell me that Obermahn,wolfie and ac kissed obamas ass? Shocker!
April 30, 2008, 12:36:54 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike Chimeri
>More importantly, why were there only four questions in the Culture Quiz tonight?<
It was a packed show. So, the GACQ (as I call it) was abbreviated by one question. Just like Martha MacCallum, I played .500 ball, missing the first two and getting the last two. Hopefully, when the quiz returns in two weeks (IN/NC primary coverage next week), it'll go back to five questions.
Meanwhile, at the same time, three channels to the left (on Cablevision), Oralmann made BOR Worst Person merely for reporting on Miley Cyrus. Of course, Bear played the perv card again. *And* the great David Olberfield (I've gone crazy with the naming) made Terry Keenan and Lea Goldman disappear. I will now make them reappear...with the link to FOXNews.com's video of the segment that Keithy's blue blog buddies distorted:
http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=videolandingpage&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=87237b7a-0d21-406b-8404-c73ce33cd157&referralPlaylistId=0259b3a1fc9e2d64b892f2ac53b8dda39a1865a3
April 30, 2008, 1:00:53 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Grammie
Mike, thanks for the link.
 
I only caught a fraction of KO's WPITW tripe so I'm not sure. Did KO leer and snicker like voyeur while insinuating that BO is a pediophile?
 
There is no question in my mind that BO's segment on Miley that you linked to was totally respectful and had no sexual overtones.
April 30, 2008, 10:20:58 AM EDT – Like – Reply