1/6/09 12:39 PM

Wednesday Links & Open Thread

Latest cable news links [updated through the day]:

(MS)NBC vs Arianna Huffington: the origin story.

Tuesday's numbers. Weekly ranker.

Analysis: FNC changes.

Juliet Huddy likes The Live Desk.

Greta loses a viewer.

Laura Ingraham's radio return?

Hotline quotes.

Q&A: Rachel Maddow.

Rumor: Chris Matthews for Meet the Press? Friedman: Don't pick Tom Brokaw.

Cablers flood into Iowa. Rick Leventhal: Illinois travails.

Soledad O'Brien's preview event.

Blame Fox!

MSNBC welshed on a deal?

J$P Poll Results:


Use our valuable bandwidth to post your comments on any and all cable news topics in today's open thread.




Fox Fan
Hey johnny, how come you don't use trackbacks on the sites you link to if they offer it? The welshed link has the option, and each time you used TB it would give exposure to the site. Just a suggestion...
June 18, 2008, 7:09:18 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Missy
Wow. What a shock that an organization like MSNBC, consisting of such outright smear types like their three prime timers, would renege on a deal to a state government.
June 18, 2008, 8:37:19 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
Scarborough lacks the gravitas and the temperment to handle MTP well.
 
Gregory could grow into the role, I think, but I'm not sure that is wise given the importance of MTP to NBC and to the nation.
 
Matthews has the same temperment issues as Scarborough, and he has never learned an important journalistic device: let the person talk. Rise to the occassion and hang himself or herself. If the moderator is talking over the person, and I think that is chronic with Matthews, untreatable, something very significant is lost.
 
My own choice would be Gwen Ifill. I realize she doesn't have a built-in audience of the right size, but she is a skilled interviewer, when she speaks, she speaks with wisdom and authority, and she has a wonderful strong, but not overbearing presence.
 
Probably the best course of NBC, however, would be a temporary replacement. Without a transition, the initial replacement would likely be short-term, anyway. I think Brokaw through the inauguration would be great.
June 18, 2008, 9:11:04 AM EDT – Like – Reply


cee
The way the left is trying to use SNOBamessiah's foggy biography, especially his childhood, as a weapon against their usual suspects is novel. Blaming someone else, in this case FNC, for one believing a story (or even just repeating it) is a new and rather interesting way to muddy the political dialogue and basically demonize the opposition.
 
Instead of just denying things, I would like more information about the background of all involved. I have read both books written by SNOBamessiah and other than his political career and young adult life, many specifics about his childhood are missing. I wonder if he is ashamed of certain cultural touchstones in his childhood that some handlers assume would make the "typical white person" (SNOBamessiah's own words) turn away. That cynical conclusion says more about this campaign than anything else.
 
I suppose the American media outlets are now shy about asking for more specifics about SNOBamessiah's childhood because the campaign has been so aggressive in labeling such inquiries as either racist or simply a distraction.
 
The religion question is particularly prickly....The Jerusalem Post article was covered by Hume on FOX but I have yet to see it convered anywhere else (and the source is SNOBamessiah's own half brother!)...
 
"Malik Obama confirms his half-brother Barack grew up a Muslim"
 
http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Politics/12918.htm
 
Information management techniques by the candidate tells much about how they will operate in office.
June 18, 2008, 9:53:35 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
The Friedman piece, or at least comments to it, raise the issue of Hume on MTP. I can't imagine that happening. He seems (perhaps, too) comfortably ensconced at FNC, and Hume was pure softball in his Cheney interview. MTP ought not be softball. Of all the potential FNC people for MTP, I would say Garrett would be best.
June 18, 2008, 10:05:20 AM EDT – Like – Reply


notveryhow
Assuming that Sen Obama was a Muslim,would that disqualify him from being President?
June 18, 2008, 10:14:34 AM EDT – Like – Reply


cee
No, NVH...in fact if he was more open about the many cultures and religions he was exposed to as a child, he would engender respect for himself in my opinion because now I feel there is a tortuous act going on regarding his image. We saw it when Wright came up and we are now seeing it regarding his childhood.
 
I never liked image management in the Presidential campaigns. I think our public figures should always be transparent and real and allow the chips to fall where they may. Hiding "private" or "personal" information because the candidate deems it out-of-bounds or not important to my evaluation seems arrogant, sneaky and hypocritical.
 
I like the guy or gal who's life is an open book.....it is very reassuring.
 
SNOBamessiah's smear reaction website is another new aspect of all this that brings to mind someone who is very intent on managing this information and even more so, perception. I guess this was the change he's been talking about these past 16 months.
June 18, 2008, 10:28:32 AM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Obama topic drift. Back to cable news.
June 18, 2008, 10:33:27 AM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Finally, coverage of the 8 Marines falsly charged on Fox. 7 out of 8, charges dropped! 1 more to go. murtha! Remember when Olbermahn pounded this story for 2 weeks? Will he, mathews, ware and a host of others be issuing apologies? I highly doubt it. Cowards!!!!!
June 18, 2008, 10:34:02 AM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
[message deleted for rules violation: off-topic]

Edited By Siteowner
June 18, 2008, 10:37:03 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Ashley
I'm shocked! A multi-billion dollar company such as GE taking tax breaks by promising to keep MSNBC in NJ for 15 years and then breaking that promise.
 
Hey you Olby fans out there? Do you think Olby will mention this? If not, do you think he'd mention it if it were Fox that broke its promise after taking tax breaks?
June 18, 2008, 11:08:49 AM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Olby is the last person in the world to bring up tax problems!
June 18, 2008, 11:09:37 AM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
I don't want to pre-empt your usual Hotline quote segement, Johnny, but I found the snippets of Cameron, Fineman (on "Countdown") and Bash on oil exploration very interesting. I don't want to extrapolate beyound reason, but it is in capsule form an interesting view of different approaches by the different networks, or more particularly, of the various network personalities, on the same issue. I've watched enough of all of these folks that the comments/coverage seem to be true to form and not surprising.
 
Of all the reporters at FNC, Cameron is the most likely to try to pull everything into RNC talking points. Fineman always talks a specific point and shotguns it. Bash tends to take a broad point and particularizes it. All true to form in these instances.

Edited By Siteowner
June 18, 2008, 11:10:36 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Stop the topic drift! If you don't have a link that has anything to do with cable news or anything related to cable news or network news, DON'T PROVIDE THE DAMN LINK! Johnny can't police this place on his own. The OCD/Asperger's guy (me) needs to keep this thread in check, too.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything to get back on topic. I just hope whomever becomes the new MtP host is not a Fox guy. Thanks to one man with the initials KO, NBC is the devil.
June 18, 2008, 12:17:19 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
mikec, Johnny does a great job 'policing' his blog.
June 18, 2008, 12:35:08 PM EDT – Like – Reply


sharm
Tom Brokaw is a good choice to fill in. I like Schieffer, but he couldn't be a permanent replacement. I like Hume, but he lacks spark IMO. The NO WAY list is much bigger than the possible list.
June 18, 2008, 12:36:13 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Olby is the last person in the world to bring up tax problems!  
johnny dollar | Homepage | 06.18.08 - 11:14 am | #  
 
I wish someone would discover McCain or another prominent (R) hadn't paid taxes. Olbermahns head would explode because he wouldn't be able to touch it! Although, it wouldn't be the first time he proved himself to be a total hypocrite if he did 'report' it.
June 18, 2008, 12:38:45 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
Indeed, that would be like Bill Bennett talking about ethics and morals or Newt Gingrich on family values, something neither man would touch. Nor would CNN or FNC allow them to touch ....
June 18, 2008, 1:07:39 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
I don't think that Bill Bennett has disqualified himself from talking about ethics and morals simply because he did some gambling (he paid his debts promptly and without injury to his family). I bought his book on Ethics a long time ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.
 
I think I remember his talking about ethics on cable news shows a long time ago. I would be more than willing to listen to him again speak on that subject. I think Bill Bennett would be a great choice for host of MTP. He does have the gravitas necessary for the position. However, I doubt that MSNBC would even consider him.
June 18, 2008, 1:27:59 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Ashley
MSNBC will likely only consider someone to be host of MTP is they love Obama and hate FNC.
June 18, 2008, 1:31:06 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
[message deleted for rules violation: off-topic]

Edited By Siteowner
June 18, 2008, 1:46:56 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
I agree with you Danny, and I don't think Olbermann would be disqualified from talking about a tax matter. I am mocking extreme positions, not taking the position I mocked.
June 18, 2008, 1:56:43 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Apparently you haven't checked out OW lately, otm/nvh. How many states does he owe taxes in? I've lost track.
June 18, 2008, 2:20:11 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
OTM,
 
As much as I respect Gingrich, I do tend to agree with you about not wanting to hear him speak about family matters. I think he is disqualified to talk on that subject. That was not a bad comparison to Olbermann. It was the Bennett comparison that I disagreed with.
 
If Olbermann were a conservative or a libertarian . . . in other words, if he were a small government guy, who would like to ease the tax load on individuals as much as possible . . . I would see less hypocrisy in his situation. But no . . . Olbermann is a big government guy. He would like to see us pay more taxes than we are now paying. He would particularly like to see rich people and corporations pay more taxes than they are now.  
 
Well, If that is what he believes, Olbermann, being a rich person, should pay more taxes than he is required to pay. He should put his money where his mouth is. Instead he has contrived to pay less than what he is supposed to. That is the essence of hypocrisy. A hypocrisy that I just don't see in Bennett.
June 18, 2008, 2:21:07 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Missy
So guess who is anchoring the Russert memorial this afternoon?
 
What a disgrace. Yes, I want to see it, but who wants to hear "Mr. Moral Outrage" do ANY of the narration?
 
Many of us have commented that Keith lacks all of Russert's good qualities. Although I'm sure he can keep his politics out of it this afternoon, just hearing his voice makes a sad situation even worse, because he is apparently the "future" of NBC News, and contrary to everything Russert worked for.  
 
Very, very sad.  
 
MSNBC is doing a huge disservice by letting KO anchor this programming. I'm sure most of the top people will be making presentations at the service, but even a cleaning woman or
June 18, 2008, 2:23:26 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Missy
Sorry, I forgot to delete that last part. I guess I was going to say something like "even a cleaning woman or maintenance guy would have been a better choice to narrate the ceremony".
June 18, 2008, 2:25:04 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Kirk G
With Fox expanding the "Live Desk" to two hours has given a chanced to highlight Harris Fauklner(SP?), she is fast on her feet and excels with the fast pace of the program.
June 18, 2008, 2:27:06 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
I understand your distinction, Danny, and I agree with to some extent, perhaps a great extent.
June 18, 2008, 2:34:36 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
OTM,
 
I am glad that to some undetermined extent we agree.
June 18, 2008, 2:51:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Steve L
Please let me be the 1st to call for the creation of the “Tim Russert Award for Journalism”
Crucial criteria;
1    Distinction in the practice of a strictly non-partisan approach to covering the news and interviewing news makers
2    Distinction in the practice fairness in covering the pros and cons of any issue. A fair sense of balance  
3    Distinction in the practice in uncovering new facts and information that enlightens the public debate.
4    Distinction in the practice of practicing journalism that presents information, positions and options but DOES NOT ADVOCATES a position point of view or policy.
5    Distinction in the practice of providing facts, research and information that is credible and not pseudo science or advocacy group positions (unidentified experts) masquerading as legitimate studies
6    Distinction in the practice of using named souses and minimizing unnamed sources.
7    Distinction in the practice thorough journalism and avoids omissions of relevant facts  
Any award that uses Russert's name that does not use this crucial criteria would be a travesty and disservice to him and his brand of fair journalism.
June 18, 2008, 2:53:24 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike C.
It's Harris Faulkner, Kirk.
I'm on board with the Tim Russert Award for Journalism. It's an excellent idea and criteria.
I didn't know Martha MacCallum was Juliet Huddy's fill-in on "The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet."
June 18, 2008, 3:13:31 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
I am not as aghast as you are, Missy, and I know this will be a very unpopular thing to say, but this is all getting maudlin and morose. No one respected Russert more than I, and I have prayed for him and for his family.
But, Russert was a faithful man, and Christians take it as an article of faith that in death we are in Christ's nearer presence. We celebrate through the tears. We are also a dignified people. This, to me, is as distasteful as the Reagan farewell tour where we moved the coffin and the widow all about from place-to-place and had what seemed like an unending number of unfocused, forgettable services, all open by the television camera to the extent of being intrusive. I suppose that is the price we pay for 24 hour access into other's lives, and I also suppose this may be just a generational difference. Lord knows I don't care for mounds of rotting flowers and candles and stuffed animals and balloons and cards at designated grief spots where you unload a trinket and tear. Again, television gives us much, but it seems to take a great deal from us as well. The post Diana world, I suppose.
June 18, 2008, 3:15:54 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Truly a disgrace that orange faced troop hating hack will even be in the same building during, before or after the Russert Memorial. The hits just keep coming.....
June 18, 2008, 3:45:05 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Ashley
Very nice criteria for the award Steve, but please allow me the opportunity to make a few minor changes so that ALL journalists from MSNBC can qualify. My suggestions in ALL CAPS:
 
1 Distinction in the practice of a strictly non-partisan approach to covering the news and interviewing news makers
 
DELETE "NON-"
 
2 Distinction in the practice fairness in covering the pros and cons of any issue. A fair sense of balance  
 
ADD "of democrats" AFTER "Pros" and "of republicans AFTER "Cons"
.
3 Distinction in the practice in uncovering new facts and information that enlightens the public debate.
 
REPLACE "uncovering" WITH "making up". INSERT "UH-HMMM" BEFORE "FACTS". ALSO, INSERT QUOTE MARKS AROUND "FACTS".
 
4 Distinction in the practice of practicing journalism that presents information, positions and options but DOES NOT ADVOCATES a position point of view or policy.
 
DELETE "NOT" AND MAKE "ADVOCATES" singular.
 
5 Distinction in the practice of providing facts, research and information that is credible and not pseudo science or advocacy group positions (unidentified experts) masquerading as legitimate studies
 
DELETE ENTIRELY.
 
6 Distinction in the practice of using named souses and minimizing unnamed sources.
 
NO CHANGES, BECAUSE IN CASE OF TROUBLE, JUST SAY "IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR DEFENITION OF "MINIMIZING" IS.
 
7 Distinction in the practice thorough journalism and avoids omissions of relevant facts  
 
DELETE "JOURNALISM AND AVOIDS"
June 18, 2008, 3:55:06 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Well he isn't actually. I didn't link to it because I thought it was a fairly insignificant point but Olbermann did not go to DC for the memorial. He is anchoring coverage from New York.
June 18, 2008, 3:55:11 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
He shouldn't even be anchoring in my opinion.


Edited By Siteowner
June 18, 2008, 4:07:35 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Missy
OTM, I actually do agree with you. While I am watching and am very interested in the ceremoney, maybe it would have been better to not have some of the coverage we saw this week.  
 
But in this case, I think the family just wanted to allow others to share in their grief, because of the vast outpouring of sadness we saw across the country.
 
Also, I think we all may be shocked as to how most of us responded to his passing. If someone would have told me a week ago that I would have shed tears over ANY media figure's death (except for maybe that of Rush or Neil Cavuto, my favorites), I would have said "no way". But this was a shock, and he was a great guy in many, many ways.  
 
Finally, forgive me, J$, for straying way off topic here, but I was a tad troubled by hearing many people speaking of Russert's "faith in the Catholic Church". Let's just hope that was a misstatement, and that all Christians realize that a denomination is just a VEHICLE that enables them to express their faith. Jesus Christ is the One Who paid for our debt of sin, and we worship and have faith in Him, not in a church or denomination.
June 18, 2008, 4:40:19 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
The death was shocking, wasn't it? When Walter Cronkite was the CBS anchor, I never felt comfortable believing someone was elected until Cronkite said it. Similarly, when I was a bit uncertain about the outcome of a primary or some demographic analysis, I listened to many, but Russert was the ultimate authority.
 
Your words on faith are well-said.
June 18, 2008, 4:51:34 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Cecelia
Johnny, nice picture of Juliet Huddy.
 
I thought the best F&F weekend team was Juliet, Mike, and Julian.
June 18, 2008, 5:33:01 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Vince
I saw a clip of Laura Ingraham's show about the Islamic hate texts (aka.. their normal stuff).. and the typical Muslim equivocator was the guest.
 
What he does is so typical for them. He immediately started to change the subject and she cut him off. Good for her
 
I see the NH might be complaining about it because I stumbled on the video of it posted by their account
June 18, 2008, 5:33:55 PM EDT – Like – Reply


notveryhow
Steve L | 06.18.08 - 2:58 pm |
 
Very interesting concept.If this was applied to news media across the board,there would be many whose favorite ox would be Gored.
 
The only point that I would contest is  
 
"6 Distinction in the practice of using named souses and minimizing unnamed sources".
 
Un-named sources can be abused,but much investigative journalism depends upon them.Without un-named sources we would not have had "The Pentagon Papers" or "Watergate", "Secret Prisons" or "Iran-Contra".
 
.
June 18, 2008, 6:20:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
Wow, Johnny, that one link you provided is shocking.
 
I thought Fox News was "fair and balanced" and in no way in the tank for conservatives and Republicans?
 
The Republican blogger at Hot Air you linked to doesn't seem to think so. He refers to Fox as "conservatives" and captions the story about a Democrat blaming Fox for calling Obama a "terrorist" as quote, "Our fault".
 
Now why would a Republican blogger go and get such a silly idea in his head that Fox News was "his", that Fox was a conservative channel, that Fox represents Republicans?
 
Gee, I wonder.
June 18, 2008, 6:34:13 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Please do not respond to nvh's last sentence. It'll result in topic drift.
June 18, 2008, 6:34:47 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
I saw no such comments in that article, but it wouldn't mean a fig to me if I did. I don't let Republican bloggers tell me what to think.
June 18, 2008, 6:40:14 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Edited By Siteowner
olby sucks | Homepage | 06.18.08 - 4:12 pm | #  
 
Editing for no reason, now? You could of at least put, "Just Because I Can."
June 18, 2008, 6:46:10 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike C.
I don't even like Hot Air, as I've made clear in the past. They're registered commenters that worship Michelle Malkin. And they hate BOR. Michelle was on "F&F" yesterday with Bob Beckel as the other guest. I like Bob (he breathes loudly, though), but I couldn't watch the double segment because of the irritating Michelle. And as I've also said in the past, having said all I've said about Michelle, I'll defend her against her critics on the left...except Geraldo.
June 18, 2008, 6:46:26 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Editing for no reason, now? You could of at least put, "Just Because I Can."
 
Hey, that's a good idea. I'll try to remember that next time!  
 
PS: It was edited for going off topic into politics.
June 18, 2008, 6:47:52 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Must have been my "leftist" and "terrorist" rant. My apologies.
June 18, 2008, 6:49:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
I like Bob Beckel (he breathes loudly, though),
 
aka, mouth breather.
June 18, 2008, 6:50:27 PM EDT – Like – Reply


notveryhow
Mike C. | Homepage | 06.18.08 - 6:39 pm |
 
Yes!Please don't respond to my last sentence.If anyone cares to respond,please respond to the whole post.
June 18, 2008, 6:55:02 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Good night, everybody. See you in tomorrow's open thread...unless that gets a lot of topic drift, ideological corner-taking, and thread hijacking, too.
June 18, 2008, 7:02:20 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Sorry, a msg here was mistakenly deleted. My error.
June 18, 2008, 7:43:50 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
This Dodd story is growing some rather large legs....
June 18, 2008, 8:23:25 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike C.
Never mind. I'm still here. I didn't think things would get quiet again so fast.
June 18, 2008, 8:47:40 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
Seeing as how Johnny deleted my last post, I'm curious, anyone watching Hannity and Colmes.
 
Michelle Obama must have really pissed off Ailes and John Moody. They've dedicated the first two segments of H&C tonight to Elisabeth Hasselback so they can trash her. Hannity has had about twice as much speaking time so far as Colmes, and Colmes is simply proresting weakly and lobbing softballs at Hasselback.
 
Gingrich is up next. Because that's what fairness and balance is all about. A non-stop parade of Republicans.
June 18, 2008, 9:16:55 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
You're getting a warning here for claiming that I deleted your last post. I did not. I edited the off-topic portion. The majority of the post is still standing. Pull that kind of thing again and stronger action will be taken.
June 18, 2008, 9:19:45 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Sorry, a msg here was mistakenly deleted. My error.
johnny dollar "
 
"You're getting a warning here for claiming that I deleted your last post. I did not. "
 
LoL.
June 18, 2008, 9:25:54 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Oh, THAT message. I thought you were referring to the other thread. You said "my last post". That was just minutes ago. I took your statement "my last post" to mean "my last post". Apologies.
June 18, 2008, 9:26:35 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
You're right though, Johnny, I do have to make a correction...
 
They actually brought Elisabeth Hasselback on for THREE straight segments.
 
Not two. 25 straight minutes of Hasselback criticizing the Obamas.
 
Anyone want to take any bets on how much time they're going to give the Democrats tonight on H&C?
June 18, 2008, 9:28:11 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Mike C.
I spoke too soon and jinxed the thread. Good night again.
June 18, 2008, 9:30:51 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Eric, you're wrong about anyone trashing mrs. o. It didn't happen. Next?
June 18, 2008, 9:39:09 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Guest
Eric | 06.18.08 - 9:33 pm | #
 
20 bucks on 50%
June 18, 2008, 9:40:00 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Cookie lost. I am anonymous.
 
20 bucks stands
June 18, 2008, 9:40:50 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
Sorry, just because you claim it didn't happen, doesn't make it true. Hannity and Hasselback both criticized the Obamas throughout the first 25 minutes of the show, and then Newt Gingrich was brought on to pound home a conservative message on oil drilling.
 
No democrats so far throughout the first 40 minutes of the show.
 
Oh, look, I spoke too soon. Gingrich is back. They've dedicated the first five segments of the show (the majority of it, in other words) to Republican guests.
June 18, 2008, 9:41:15 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
You lost, Fox Fan. The first 45 of the show are over and they haven't allowed a single Democrat onto the program. Hasselback and Gingrich have been granted the entire show so far.
June 18, 2008, 9:42:24 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
So nobody's challenging the republicans?
June 18, 2008, 9:42:27 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Eric, how was mrs. o "trashed?" You made the claim, prove it!
June 18, 2008, 9:43:52 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"So nobody's challenging the republicans?"
 
Oh, so simply having Colmes on the show makes it balanced? Even if 90% of the guest list is Republican? As long as good ol' Alan Colmes is sitting there squinting and asking stupid questions, it means they're balanced?
 
Pathetic. You don't believe that for a second. They haven't allowed any Democrats onto the program yet and the program is nearly over. If CNN hosted a program with a conservative and liberal host but the entire guest list was liberal, you wouldn't buy that for a moment.
June 18, 2008, 9:46:36 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
"Eric," don't worry. I don't expect you to back your claim.
June 18, 2008, 9:48:16 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
hey lookie. Santorum and Davis. Shocker!
June 18, 2008, 9:51:55 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
LOL!
 
They finally allowed a Democrat onto Fox News, and they brought him on to debate Santorum, while allowing Hannity to open the segment with a minute worth of Republican talking points, and giving Santorum the first word.
 
That's five segments with Republicans, and one Democrat and one Republican segment.
 
They couldn't even stomach a five minute solo interview with a Democrat after fifty-minutes of Republicans.
June 18, 2008, 9:52:55 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
"Eric." Wha name do you use at newsounds?
June 18, 2008, 9:55:23 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Eric thinks that just having republicans on means that they're hating on democrats 100% of the time. Fact is, Eric, the subject matter is mostly non-partisan.
 
They finally allowed a democrat onto Fox News? lol
June 18, 2008, 9:55:43 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
Guess you don't remember the bad old days of the Capital Gang on CNN. On that show it wasn't unusual to have four liberals beat up on Novak, who was the only conservative. Novak does not have the most attractive personality (compared to him Colmes is Mr. Personality) and the lib panel members routinely patronized him and dismissed him as if he were a crazy uncle.
 
That show used to make me sick. But I am sure you think that it was fair and balanced.
 
Certainly, Fox News is the epitome of fair and balanced compared to that show.
June 18, 2008, 9:58:16 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Eric, how was mrs. o "trashed?" You made the claim, prove it!
 
Nuttin' but crickeys from "Eric." Back to the dog pound, boy.
June 18, 2008, 9:58:50 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Eric thinks that just having republicans on means that they're hating on democrats 100% of the time. Fact is, Eric, the subject matter is mostly non-partisan."
 
No, just having Republicans on 100% of the time means that they're 100% Republican, LoL.
 
IT amazes me you feel the necessity of defending the idea of only allowing one side to have a say on their network. If Fox stacks it guest list overwhelmingly with Republicans, it tends to show that they're a pro-Republican news channel.
 
That's what we like to call common sense.
 
So tonight for Hannity & Colmes, they had a 25 minute interview with a Republican, the subject of which was criticism of the Obamas.
 
Then a 20-minute interview with a second Republican, the subject of which was criticism of the Democratic Party's position on drilling.
 
And then finally, a roughly seven or eight minute interview with a Democrat and a Republican.
 
Hence, Republican guests outnumbered Democrats 3-1, and they were given roughly 80-85% of the show's allotted time.
 
Hence, Fox is a Republican news channel.
June 18, 2008, 10:00:26 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Eric, see 10:03. LOL!!!!
June 18, 2008, 10:01:41 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
By your logic CNN is a Democratic news channel . . . and more so than Fox.
June 18, 2008, 10:02:59 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Hey Eric. How many (R)'s were on Olbermahn? How many in the last 4 yrs?
June 18, 2008, 10:03:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
mbeant to say more so than Fox is in any way shape or form a republican channel.
June 18, 2008, 10:04:19 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
OK, you take one show and without regard to content fraudulently paste the whole existence of a network as exemplary of said fraudulent claim of said singular program.
 
Nice.
 
Let's see you apply the same logic to other "news" shows you indulge in.
June 18, 2008, 10:05:24 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Certainly, Fox News is the epitome of fair and balanced compared to that show."
 
BANG.
 
That right there, is another classic example of a Fox News viewer openly admitting Fox is biased. You're simply trying to justify it by saying "Well the Capital Gang was MORE biased..."
 
Sorry, that does not compute. That's not logical. That's not how it works. One show being biased does not make another show less biased.
 
[message edited for rules violation: name calling, personal attack; warning!]

Edited By Siteowner
June 18, 2008, 10:05:47 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"OK, you take one show and without regard to content fraudulently paste the whole existence of a network as exemplary of said fraudulent claim of said singular program.
 
Nice.
 
Let's see you apply the same logic to other "news" shows you indulge in.
Fox Fan "
 
Sure, would you care to watch Ingraham, Hume and O'Reilly tomorrow, along with the next viewing of H&C?
 
If you want to count up the (R)'s and (D)'s on Fox. You go right ahead. I'm game for it. We both know the results will be roughly the same. For every Democratic guest on Fox News, there's 3-4 Republicans and all of the host opinion on Fox (Ingraham, Cavuto, Hume, O'Reilly, etc...) is Republican.
June 18, 2008, 10:07:42 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Actually Eric, "You're simply trying to justify Fox being in the tank for the Republican Party."
 
We're saying that it's demonstrably the most fair and balanced of the bunch. Not in the tank, it's the only one out of it.
June 18, 2008, 10:08:10 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
"If you want to count up the (R)'s and (D)'s on Fox. You go right ahead. "
 
This has been done before on this site by another NHer quite a while back. They lost.
June 18, 2008, 10:09:40 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
Bang yourself. I said no such thing. What I did suggest balance between liberal and conservative is relative. Relative to the false balance that was on CNN (and I am especially talking about the days before the Fox channel) Fox is fair and balance. I can show you more demo contributions than was on CNN. The liberal representatives are more attractive than CNN's conservative representatives. Fox has hired a cadre of liberal contributiors who regularly appear on Fox shows which CNN never had.
 
So, Fox is fair and balanced compared to what when on before.
June 18, 2008, 10:11:45 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"We're saying that it's demonstrably the most fair and balanced of the bunch. Not in the tank, it's the only one out of it."
 
Demonstrably? Funny, I could of swore I just demonstrated Fox slanting its guest list overwhelmingly in favor of Republicans. It's in the tank for Republicans. You can deny it all you want. We both know it's true, you're simply denying it because you're a partisan and you have to for sake of argument, otherwise you can't harp about the rest of the media.
 
"This has been done before on this site by another NHer quite a while back. They lost."
 
LoL. Yeah, I'm sure. I fully expect to tune into H&C tomorrow and see H&C dedicate the first 25 minutes of the show to Paul Begala's thoughts on the 2008 election, and then the next 20 minutes to Arianna Huffington.
June 18, 2008, 10:14:48 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Sorry, Paul and Arianna are already booked tomorrow with MSNBC. I'm afraid you're wrong again.
 
Your assertion that Fox is slanted is likely more based on your readership of NH articles than your 45 minutes of actual viewing tonight.
June 18, 2008, 10:17:36 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Your anecdotal evidence is statistically meaningless. It seems you only show up (under one name or another) on certain nights, when you think "adding up the guests" will work in your favor. As I recall, what I assume was you under another incarnation vanished quickly after promising to add up the guests on I think a Tuesday night. The math didn't quite work that night.
 
Focusing on one or two shows one night proves nothing. It's the overall balance over time that matters. I know I didn't see you the other night when H&C had a preponderance of Democratic guests. I'm sure that was just a coincidence.
June 18, 2008, 10:18:09 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
Yet Hillary said she was treated more fairly on Fox than any other channel. And Hillary represents half of the Democratic party.
 
Like it or not Eric, Fox News Channel is a breath of fresh air compared to what went on before Fox (and really what is going on on the other news channels right now. Somehow Goldwater's campaign slogan seems applicable right now: In your heart, Eric, you know I am right!
June 18, 2008, 10:20:06 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"What I did suggest balance between liberal and conservative is relative. "
 
If its only relative than it's not real. Sorry. Balance is never relative. Either Fox is balanced and it gives 50% of its air time to Democrats and the other 50% to Republicans, or it's biased.
 
There is no "relative" in a debate about balance. That's the entire point. Once again, you're admitting that you know Fox is biased, and you're trying to justify it by saying Fox News is balanced in COMPARISON to something else.
 
And secondly, I don't even buy that premise to begin with (CNN having less conservatives thatn Fox has liberals).
 
"The liberal representatives are more attractive than CNN's conservative representatives."
 
That right there is just a flat out joke. Very few people on the left like Alan Colmes. He's a completely ineffective gas bag who kisses up to the guests and does not ask tough questions. Kirsten Powers is pro-life and there's nothing particularly flashy or attractive about Bob Beckel or Marc Lamont Hill. Lanny Davis, especially, is one of the most despised pundits in politics. People do not look at a guy like Lanny Davis and think "that guy makes a good point", even if they agree with him. He's a tool.
June 18, 2008, 10:20:15 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
" Sorry, Paul and Arianna are already booked tomorrow with MSNBC. I'm afraid you're wrong again."
 
I like how you think that this is somehow a rebuttal to what I said. I don't care about MSNBC, so therefore, you taking jabs at MSNBC, is fairly meaningless.
 
Once again, trying to justify bias with bias.
 
"Yet Hillary said she was treated more fairly on Fox than any other channel. And Hillary represents half of the Democratic party."
 
LoL. Hillary didn't believe that for a second. Hillary recognized the undeniable fact that Fox News HATES Obama, and that it was pumping out Wright coverage 24/7 and was EXTREMELY negative towards Obama. Most of the Democrats on Fox were Clinton partisans, including Juan Williams, who came on to the Factor and trashed Obama along with Ingraham.
 
That's why Clintonites were praising Fox. When Ed Rendell joked that "you hate both our candidates", he wasn't really joking, but he wanted to slip that one in there because everyone laughed, but everyone basically knew it was true.
 
Fox bashed Obama during the primary more than Hillary, and because MSNBC was bashing Hillary, she naturally would go and say Fox was "impartial". In comparison.
June 18, 2008, 10:25:18 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
If its only relative than it's not real. Sorry. Balance is never relative. There is no "relative" in a debate about balance. That's the entire point.
Eric | 06.18.08 - 10:25 pm | #
 
The entire basis of your argument is false.
 
Even 60/40 is much more fair and balanced than 90/10. You can claim partisanship on one side but you simultaneously ignore your favored alternatives.
 
Math doesn't lie, hypocrite.
June 18, 2008, 10:27:46 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"I know I didn't see you the other night when H&C had a preponderance of Democratic guests. I'm sure that was just a coincidence."
 
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that a guy who runs a website that monitors Fox News 24/7 cannot produce a single transcript from Hannity & Colmes, Ingraham, Cavuto or the O'Reilly Factor which would prove I'm wrong by displaying a guest list that was balanced or more Democratic than Republican.
 
If Hannity & Colmes had supposedly brought on more Democrats or an even number of Democrats on the other night, you would have jumped at the chance to post about it on your website. Feel free to post the guest list of the previous night to supposedly prove me wrong.
June 18, 2008, 10:28:20 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Balance is something that does not exist in reality. In reality, most things tilt (if ever so slightly) one way or another. But I don't think that we should allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.
 
In this case, the good is that, certainly relative to CNN and cable news channels in general (especially before the FNC), FNC is much more fair and balanced than what happened before. And in some cases, FNC has caused other channels to be more balanced (witness CNN's hiring of Beck).
 
I have to disagree with you about Colmes being less attractive than eccentric Bob Novak. At least no one patronizes Colmes or dismisses him as being a little loony.
 
FNC is a breath of fresh air and has brought more balance to cable news than ever before.
June 18, 2008, 10:29:29 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> If Hannity & Colmes had supposedly brought on more Democrats or an even number of Democrats on the other night, you would have jumped at the chance to post about it on your website.
 
What are you talking about? I don't post lists of guests on programs, because most of my readers are bright enough to know that whole arguing a general from a specific is shaky at best.
 
> Very few people on the left like Alan Colmes. He's a completely ineffective gas bag who kisses up to the guests and does not ask tough questions.
 
OK, let's put that to the test. It took me about 3 minutes to cull a bunch of quotes from the Fox haters over at the newshounds. Here's some examples, in their own words, of how they dislike Alan Colmes because he doesn't ask tough question...
 
Alan Colmes Gives Jonah Goldberg An Earful
Colmes didn’t let her off the hook.
Alan Colmes Smacks Down Newt Gingrich Over Bush Spy Scandal
Alan Colmes Smacks Down Cindy Sheehan-Smearer Melanie Morgan
Alan Colmes ended the week last night by continuing his outspoken and on-target criticism of the Bush Administration and by effectively ridiculing a hate-filled pastor. All that before Amy Goodman made her two-hour appearance.
Alan Colmes Forces Andrew Card To Eat His Words
There’s nothing that warms my News Hounds heart more than watching liberals standing up to the loud-mouthed conservatives on FOX News. Last night (6/7/07), Alan Colmes and Juan Williams were at the top of their games as they destroyed the anti immigration-bill arguments of Sean Hannity and Mark Steyn
Alan Colmes deserves our heartfelt appreciation for the work he has done during this campaign. His endless dedication is often ignored and under appreciated by a public drawn to the outrageous antics of Hannity and his cohorts
June 18, 2008, 10:31:00 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Even 60/40 is much more fair and balanced than 90/10. You can claim partisanship on one side but you simultaneously ignore your favored alternatives.
 
Math doesn't lie, hypocrite."
 
Actually, you're the hypocrite since you just admitted that your side was biased, and you're actually the one ignoring that fact because you perceive bias on the OTHER side.
 
I don't watch the OTHER side, so I can't be a hypocrite. I don't remember coming onto this blog, singing the praises of MSNBC or CNN.
 
By the way, the guest breakdown on Hannity & Colmes tonight was not "60/40". It was literally 80/20. Therefore, your entire argument just imploded.
June 18, 2008, 10:31:04 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
All right, no name-calling or I'll start editing again (or worse).
June 18, 2008, 10:32:21 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Vince P
Leftists are so invested in their ideological war. Sad pathetic people.
June 18, 2008, 10:33:29 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Actually, you're the hypocrite since you just admitted that your side was biased
Eric | 06.18.08 - 10:36 pm | #
 
No, I used a percentage that liberals or NHers might use. I personally think FNC is 50/50. 
 
"Therefore, your entire argument just imploded." lol
June 18, 2008, 10:35:59 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
I never admitted a bias. I do know that any thing in nature is biased to some degree; because anything will tilt one way or another (if only a little). 
 
I am not looking for a cable channel to be absolutely absent of bias; I just want them to be less biased than anything that we have had. Since FNC does not tilt as much as anything we had before, I am happy.
June 18, 2008, 10:38:24 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"johnny dollar "
 
Oh, so you actually do take posts on the internet as serious indictators of the truth, now?
 
I thought you didn't do that? You know, when I was mentioning how Republican and conservative bloggers continually refer to Fox News as "conservative" and "republican", you ran away, claiming that such a method of determining bias is ridiculous.
 
So now a few posts on Newshounds indicate that Alan Colmes is "popular" among liberals?
 
Ok. Here's one for you, then. Here's an elected Democratic Representative referring to Susan Estrich as "pathetic".
 
http://www.newshounds.us/2006/01/25/susan_estrich_a_fox_news_disgrace_to_democrats_updated.php
June 18, 2008, 10:40:06 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
I'm waiting for Eric to answer a few ignored statements here.
 
1) OS asking for the attacks on M Obama tonight
 
B) johnny's examples of NHs saying Colmes is a strong liberal
 
3) Your "count" of guests over time
June 18, 2008, 10:41:48 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"No, I used a percentage that liberals or NHers might use. I personally think FNC is 50/50. "
 
Yeah, I'm done debating you at this point because you're basically just flat out lying at this point. You don't really believe Fox is "50/50". Even the most diehard Fox News fan does not believe Fox News is "50/50". You would have to be mildly retarded to actually believe that. You don't believe that, you're just saying that for sake of argument.
 
If you actually believed the Fox News Channel gave 50% of its airtime to liberals and Democrats you wouldn't constantly resort to bringing up MSNBC and CNN. You wouldn't need any other news channel to defend Fox's credibility if Fox was balanced. You could simply talk about Fox.
 
But you can't, because it isn't.
June 18, 2008, 10:42:25 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
It is not Fox's fault that to some degree the Democratic party remains a house divided. Susan has been a respected member of the Democratic party, and she handled a campaign for a Democratic nominee. I daresay that at least half of the Democratic party respects her.
June 18, 2008, 10:43:28 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Eric | 06.18.08 - 10:47 pm | #
 
I guess you know better than I do what I think. Strong assertion. Rediculous and stupid, but strong.
June 18, 2008, 10:44:05 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Rediculous=Ridiculous
June 18, 2008, 10:45:00 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Oh, so you actually do take posts on the internet as serious indictators of the truth, now?
 
I didn't say the were true. You're the one who claimed people on the left ridicule Alan Colmes, who has either the #1 or #2 progressive talk show on American radio, as nothing but a joke. I provided you with quotes from a website that claims to monitor Fox that demonstrates people on the left who do not think as you claim.
 
Since I have never made any claim about what people on the right think, your citation of quotes from people on the right is irrelevant. I make up my own mind. YOU cited people on the left as your standard and I replied to it.
June 18, 2008, 10:45:02 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
I don't think any cable network can be 50/50. for that reason I don't really care if Fox is absolutely 50/50. All I care about is that it is more balanced than what we had before.
 
Einstein pretty much said that everything is relative to the speed of light. Einstein was rather intelligent.
June 18, 2008, 10:47:01 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Feel free to post the guest list of the previous night to supposedly prove me wrong.
 
Well here's the guest list for 6/7:
 
panel discussion: Kirsten Powers (D)
Juan Williams (D)
Bay Buchanan (R)
 
oops another unfair, unbalanced panel. But wait, they had a second panel:
 
Bob Beckel (D)
Doug Schoen (D)
Michelle Ottis (R)
June 18, 2008, 10:47:18 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Ouch Eric, did the numbers game just bite you in the a** again?
 
Good research, johnny.
June 18, 2008, 10:50:22 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
BTW: Ellen Brodsky of NH is often quite complimentary of Colmes. I always thought that she was unaware that as she complimented Colmes that she was destroying her own argument that Fox is unbalanced. Guess she is not smart enough to realize that.
June 18, 2008, 10:51:27 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
" > Feel free to post the guest list of the previous night to supposedly prove me wrong.
 
Well here's the guest list for 6/7:
 
panel discussion: Kirsten Powers (D)
Juan Williams (D)
Bay Buchanan (R)"
 
That's not the guest list and you know it. Fox did not spend 60 minutes of television interviewing only THREE PEOPLE. 
 
oops another unfair, unbalanced panel. But wait, they had a second panel:
 
Bob Beckel (D)
Doug Schoen (D)
Michelle Ottis (R)
johnny dollar"
 
Nope, sorry Johnny, you didn't do what I asked.
 
I asked for the entire guest list for the night. Instead, you gave two panels. What's the entire guest list?
 
If the entire guest list mirrored what you just posted, you would have posted it. You're deliberately leaving out the entire guest list because it undoubtedly includes solo interviews with Republicans.
June 18, 2008, 10:54:51 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
Post the real guest list, Johnny. The ENTIRE guest list, including the interivews you deliberately left out. Because we both know that ain't it.
June 18, 2008, 10:55:33 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
Both the panel discussions went on for multiple segments. The only other guest was Dick Morris. You can label him an (R) if you want but if you do you still have a majority of Democrats.
 
I can give you the guest list for the hour before that too, but I suspect you won't like that much either.
 
It is, as I've said, a silly exercise that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. One swallow does not make a summer.
June 18, 2008, 10:56:35 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
LOL! Exactly! How many segments did Dick Morris get?
 
You left that out intentionally because Morris is a partisan who hates Obama and supporst McCain.
 
Here's the entire guest list for Ingraham's show which aired yesterday:
 
(R) Rush Limbaugh
(R) Jonah Goldberg
(R) Armstrong Williams
(R) Niger Innis
 
Griff Jenkins, Fox reporter
Greta Van Sustren to talk legal cases.
 
Notice anything missing? Democrats.
June 18, 2008, 11:00:31 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
Exactly, Johnny, you just proved my point. Fox, once again, refused to do a solo interview with a Democrat on H&C. Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Never in a thousand years would Democrats get the kind of treatment that Republicans got tonight on Fox. The first forty-five minutes of H&C without a Republican guest to rebutt them?
 
Hillarious.
June 18, 2008, 11:02:02 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Here's the entire guest list for Ingraham's show which aired yesterday:
 
Unfortunately that is not the entire guest list. You conveniently left out one liberal, as well as not mentioning that Armstrong Williams was arguing reasons to vote for Barack Obama.
 
So I added up the H&C guests for you. More Dems than Republicans. Am I right?
June 18, 2008, 11:03:54 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Eric, how was mrs. o "trashed?" You made the claim, prove it!
 
Nuttin' but crickeys from "Eric." Back to the dog pound, boy.
 
Another day, another lie from a proud member of the dog pound.....
June 18, 2008, 11:04:31 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Do I hear $20 coming from Eric?
 
I accept cash, check, and Paypal.
June 18, 2008, 11:05:02 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews.
 
What a lie! Cite your proof.
June 18, 2008, 11:05:20 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Several proofs against his claim are available AT THIS SITE.
 
You lose again, "Eric".
June 18, 2008, 11:06:30 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Using the phrase "almost never" is a dead give away of a serial liar.
June 18, 2008, 11:07:09 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Unfortunately that is not the entire guest list. You conveniently left out one liberal, as well as not mentioning that Armstrong Williams was arguing reasons to vote for Barack Obama."
 
And what liberal was that?
 
Williams was divided on whether he was going to vote for Obama or not, he was not some diehard convert. By your logic, then, can we count all of the Dems on Cavuto's show who say they will support McCain in November as Republicans?
June 18, 2008, 11:09:24 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Moreover, Eric you are forgetting that Ellen Brodsky often compliments Colmes for arguing effectively.
June 18, 2008, 11:09:54 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Still ignoring OS's challenge.
 
Weak.
June 18, 2008, 11:10:32 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"What a lie! Cite your proof."
 
You just proved it. H&C almost never does solo interviews with Democrats. For every Democrat who gets a solo interview on H&C nearly five Republicans will get one. That couple of nights have proven that. Three segments with Hasselback, two with Gingrich, and you still haven't stated how many segments Morris got last night.
June 18, 2008, 11:10:45 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
" Do I hear $20 coming from Eric?
 
I accept cash, check, and Paypal."
 
You bet me that H&C would give "50%" of its airtime to Democrats tonight. I proved you were wrong. Gingrich and Hasselback took up the first 50 minutes, and then Lanny Davis split the last 10 with Santorum.
 
How many times does this need to be explained to you?
June 18, 2008, 11:12:15 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> H&C almost never does solo interviews with Democrats.
 
Changing the rules already?
 
> Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Cite your proof.
June 18, 2008, 11:12:23 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Michelle Obama must have really pissed off Ailes and John Moody. They've dedicated the first two segments of H&C tonight to Elisabeth Hasselback so they can trash her. 
 
Documented lie by "Eric."
June 18, 2008, 11:12:52 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Since many Democrats won't come on Fox, they are lucky to be a well represented as they are. Edwards and Obama and Biden are three examples of Democrats who are too frightened to go on Fox news.
 
They had rather be given softball questions on "more balanced" networks.
June 18, 2008, 11:13:41 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Eric, how was mrs. o "trashed?" You made the claim, prove it!
 
Nuttin' but crickeys from "Eric." Back to the dog pound, boy.
 
Another day, another lie from a proud member of the dog pound....."
 
They criticized her repeatedly for the first 25 minutes. Deny it all you want. They said she was elitist, dishonest, fake and didn't like her country.
 
There, you just lost.
June 18, 2008, 11:13:48 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
They said she was elitist, dishonest, fake and didn't like her country.
 
There, you just lost.
Eric | 06.18.08 - 11:18 pm | # 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Another lie.
June 18, 2008, 11:15:03 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"They had rather be given softball questions on "more balanced" networks."
 
Oh, and Fox News tosses hardballs at Republicans? You're delusional if you believe that. Laura Ingraham had Mitt Romney, Rush Limbaugh, Fred Thompson, Jonah Goldberg and other Republicans on her show this week and did not ask ONE tough question.
 
The only time she even challenged her guests was when one of them suggested he might vote for Obama.
June 18, 2008, 11:15:15 PM EDT – Like – Reply


10incher
Does Laura Ingram's program meet your definition of fair and balanced folks?
June 18, 2008, 11:16:09 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> > Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Cite your proof, please. (Maybe that'll do it.)
June 18, 2008, 11:16:13 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
They said she was elitist, dishonest, fake and didn't like her country.
 
Eric, these are all true, but, not said tonight.
June 18, 2008, 11:16:40 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Wrong Eric. They didn't criticize her repeatedly, they discussed the personal relationships with the hosts and guests. Where's the partisanship?
 
How about the trashing of M. Obama? Proof, please. Everyone's asking, you're not providing.
June 18, 2008, 11:16:59 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Obama and his wife are invited to come on almost any Fox show and set the record straight. 
 
Oh yeah. I forgot. They are too scared and too sensitive. Obama is deathly afraid that someone might criticize his big ears.
June 18, 2008, 11:17:23 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Cite your proof.
johnny dollar"
 
Your inability to post a single Democratic interview done this week on H&C is the proof. Why don't you post one? Can you? Can you find a single solo interview H&C did with a liberal/Dem this week? And compare that to all of the solo interviews with Republicans?
 
If you count it segment by segment, they did five segments tonight with a Republican.
 
You STILL haven't stated how many segments Dick Morris got the other night, which leads me to believe he probably got two.
June 18, 2008, 11:17:37 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"How about the trashing of M. Obama? Proof, please. Everyone's asking, you're not providing."
 
Proof? Here's an idea, why don't you watch the rerun at midnight? That one's just off the top of my head. Since the show aired tonight, there isn't a transcript or a video up yet.
June 18, 2008, 11:18:46 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Your inability to post a single Democratic interview done this week on H&C is the proof.
 
Here's a lesson for you. The burden of proof is on the accuser. You made a claim. It's up to you to document it. It's not up to me to do your research for you. You didn't restrict your claim to three days of one week either, let alone to one night. Or even one program:
 
>> Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Cite your proof.
June 18, 2008, 11:19:20 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
If lib/dem are too frightened to come on Fox, I would say it is not Fox's fault. 
 
The fact that they will go on other cable news networks to me indicates that the other networks are less balanced than Fox.
June 18, 2008, 11:19:51 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
Proof? Here's an idea, why don't you watch the rerun at midnight? That one's just off the top of my head. Since the show aired tonight, there isn't a transcript or a video up yet.
Eric | 06.18.08 - 11:23 pm | # 
 
Why should I watch the rerun? I watched the original. You lied about the trashing of Michelle, as OS and I both said.
June 18, 2008, 11:21:16 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
http://mediamatters.org/items/200603300010
 
You claimed that you debunked this study, but we all know you fell flat on your face by claiming Morris shouldn't count as a Republican.
 
80% of solo interviews on H&C are Republican.
June 18, 2008, 11:23:13 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Cite your proof.
johnny dollar"
 
There's your proof. You've never debunked it. You pathetically tried to claim that legal analysts brought on to discuss court cases should count as liberals if they happened to donate money to Kerry's fund in 2004.
 
By the way, did you watch the Factor tonight?
 
I didn't see any Democrats on the Factor tonight.
 
(R) Michelle Bachmann
(R) Tammy Bruce
(R) Dennis Miller
(R) Dick Morris
 
If there was a Democrat on tonight, feel free to correct me.
June 18, 2008, 11:25:07 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
That's a very interesting, and flawed study, but irrelevant. 
 
>> Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Cite your proof.
June 18, 2008, 11:25:13 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
If there was a Democrat on tonight, feel free to correct me.
Eric | 06.18.08 - 11:30 pm | # 
 
Your desperation is showing.
June 18, 2008, 11:27:38 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
So for those of you counting at home, let's do a little math of these three shows.
 
Factor:
 
(R) Bachmann
(R) Miller
(R) Bruce
(R) Morris
 
H&C
 
(R) Hasselback
(R) Santorum
(R) Gingrich
(D) Davis
 
Ingraham
 
(R) Goldberg
(R) Limbaugh
(R) Williams
(R) Niger
(D) ? (Johnny claims I forgot a liberal, but hasn't stated who this was)
 
Assuming Johnny's ghost liberal exists (And I believe he's referring to Obama's foreign policy advisor, but that was today, not yesterday), that's a total of 11 Republicans, and 2 Democrats.
 
Wow.
June 18, 2008, 11:29:14 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Dick Morris is an (R)? Proof?
June 18, 2008, 11:29:38 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"That's a very interesting, and flawed study, but irrelevant. 
 
>> Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Cite your proof.
johnny dollar"
 
Cite your proof that it's a flawed study.
June 18, 2008, 11:30:17 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Cite your proof that it's a flawed study.
 
My opinion, but it's irrelevant to your claim.
 
>> Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Cite your proof.
June 18, 2008, 11:31:16 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Using 'media matters' is flawed all by itself.
June 18, 2008, 11:31:41 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Dick Morris is an (R)? Proof?
olby sucks"
 
Right, Dick Morris is in NO WAY opposed to Clinton and Obama and supports Republicans.
 
No way. Not a chance.
 
Oh wait. http://mediamatters.org/items/200612210001
June 18, 2008, 11:32:19 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
" > Cite your proof that it's a flawed study.
 
My opinion, but it's irrelevant to your claim."
 
Nope. The study claims that 80% of solo interviews on H&C are Republicans, thus "Democrats are almost never given solo interviews" is an accurate statement. As this past week has also proven.
June 18, 2008, 11:33:37 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
What did I say abot the "almost never" line? LOL!
June 18, 2008, 11:34:58 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
"Olbermahn almost never lies."
 
LOL!!
June 18, 2008, 11:36:06 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
"Chris Dodd almost never gets sweetheart loans at 2%."
June 18, 2008, 11:38:04 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
It speaks well for Fox that they have the number of Democrats (whatever that is) that they have considering the number of Dems who are boycotting Fox.
 
More invites are sent to Dems than are accepted. That is not Fox's fault.
June 18, 2008, 11:38:49 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> The study claims that 80% of solo interviews on H&C are Republicans
 
But your statement wasn't just about H&C. I am asking for proof of this statement:
 
> >> Democrats are almost never allowed solo interviews. That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Cite your proof.
June 18, 2008, 11:40:39 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
Laura Ingraham's guest list so far:
 
Monday:
(R) Mitt Romney
(R) Fred Thompson
(C) Raymond Arroyo (Conservative priest, went after Wright/Obama)
(R) Ed Hendy, talk show host
(C) Bill O'Reilly
(Liberal) Fransisco Hernandez (immigration activist)
 
Tuesday:
(R) Goldberg
(R) Limbaugh
(R) Williams
(R) Niger
(D) Obama's foreign policy advisor
 
Anyone have the guest list for today?
June 18, 2008, 11:41:47 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
By the way, in just the previous six episodes of The Factor alone, O'Reilly has done solo interviews with Jane Fleming Kleeb, Dennis Kucinich, Rachel Sklar, Marc Lamont Hill, etc. 
 
A total of the political guests on those Factor programs came out to 12 Republicans, 10 Democrats, 1 independent. Quite different from one night. The larger the sample, the truer the result.
June 18, 2008, 11:42:55 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Cite your proof.
johnny dollar "
 
I was referring to H&C.
 
"But your statement wasn't just about H&C. "
 
Yes, it was. It's not responsibility if you misinterpreted it.
June 18, 2008, 11:43:15 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
Anyone know how many dem guests she would like to have who are too cowardly to come?
June 18, 2008, 11:43:24 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> I was referring to H&C.
 
Then why did you say:
 
> That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Is H&C the only program on Fox?
 
If you're obsessed with H&C, then what are you claiming? That one program leans to the right in its guest bookings? What about all the other hours of the day? Greta's guest list definitely tends to the Democrat side. Again, cherry-picking your stats is just lying with numbers.
 
> Anyone know how many dem guests she would like to have who are too cowardly to come?
 
Alan has been vocal on the radio on his blog and even on the tv show about how hard it is to get Democratic guests to come on H&C.
June 18, 2008, 11:46:00 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"A total of the political guests on those Factor programs came out to 12 Republicans, 10 Democrats, 1 independent."
 
BS. Post the total guest list. You're making general claims without backing them up with real names.
 
I love how it's just a big coincidence that JUST tonight, O'Reilly didn't have a SINGLE Democrat on his show.
 
Not one.
 
Not one Democrat.
 
And JUST tonight, Hannity and Colmes gave the firty forty-five minutes of their show to Republicans.
 
And just the first couple of shows of Laura Ingraham's new program happen to result in lop-sided guest lists in which Ingraham brings on five times as many Republicans as Democrats.
 
It really amazes me you think anyone is stupid enough to believe that. Not even your own readers believe that.
June 18, 2008, 11:46:58 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
It is not as if Dems are falling over themselves wanting to be on O'Reilly and H&C and are being denied.
June 18, 2008, 11:48:49 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
I still say that the gutlessness of the Obama/Edwards wing of the Dem party demonstrates that Fox is more fair and balanced than the other cable news channels.
June 18, 2008, 11:50:19 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"If you're obsessed with H&C, then what are you claiming? That one program leans to the right in its guest bookings?"
 
No, I was using H&C as a textbook example. Hannity & Colmes is supposed to be the flagship program for Fox in terms of fairness and balance. "HURR HURR, they have a liberal and a conservative, this symbolizes Fox's neutrality!"
 
If Fox is stacking its guest list on its flagship program, it's pretty obvious it doesn't take its balance motto seriously.
 
But no, H&C obviously is not the only program that does this. But it's a good example and it's the popular night-time lineup.
 
Oh by the way, I was wrong about O'Reilly. HE also had Amanda Carpenter on, a Republican blogger for Townhall.com and in good fashion, simply identified her as an "internet expert".
June 18, 2008, 11:50:44 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Eric,
 
again in don't mean to out-Goldwater you but in your hear you know I am right.
June 18, 2008, 11:51:16 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
(R) Amanda Carpenter
(R) Dennis Miller
(R) Tammy Bruce
(R) Dick Morris
(R) Bachmann
 
Five Republicans. FIVE. Not one Democrat. Not a SINGLE Democrat on the Factor.
 
That was O'Reilly's guest list tonight.
June 18, 2008, 11:51:59 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
hear = heart
June 18, 2008, 11:52:22 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Etic,
 
And there were hordes of Dems who wanted to be on the show but were refused?
 
Yeah Right.
June 18, 2008, 11:54:02 PM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"It is not as if Dems are falling over themselves wanting to be on O'Reilly and H&C and are being denied."
 
Paul Begala and James Carville have stated in the past that they are willing to appear on Fox whenever asked. Fox rarely books them because they aren't docile push-overs like Lanny Davis, Pat Caddell or Susan Estritch.
June 18, 2008, 11:54:22 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Lanny Davis (to go with the first on your list) is no docile pushover. He just wasn't for Obama initially as half of the dems weren't
June 18, 2008, 11:56:58 PM EDT – Like – Reply


danny
Also, I am sure that Paul and James are just sitting by their phones ready to drop everything to appear on Fox.
 
Paul may have a contractual relationship with another network. I am not sure if that is the case now, but I know it once was.
June 18, 2008, 11:59:48 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
> Paul Begala and James Carville have stated in the past that they are willing to appear on Fox whenever asked. Fox rarely books them because they aren't docile push-overs
 
No, they don't book them because they are paid by CNN, and can only appear on other channels under certain exceptions (like they are promoting a book). Nice try.
 
Are you now back to claiming that it's not just H&C? That I didn't misunderstand you at all?
 
>> That is a Republican privilege on Fox.
 
Well I just cited a bunch of solo interviews on the Factor alone over the previous seven shows. And the guest list:
 
MKHam
novak
morris
bossie
Miller
rove
gingrich
ingraham
pfotenauer
mkham
rove
crowley
 
Juan Williams
Mary Brosnahan
Jane Fleming Kleeb
Kucinich
Mathew littman
marjorie cohn
raul hinojosa
marc lamont hill
henican
sklar
 
kinky friedman
 
As I said, the larger the sample, the truer the result.
 
Now everybody has posted their guest lists to argue their anecdotal evidence. That makes very tedious reading in a comments thread. So we'll have no more counting up the guests. Eric has made his charge about H&C. He has expanded it to all of Fox claiming H&C is merely an "example", but has yet to cite proof for a broader claim. You are still welcome to post that proof, but lists of guests does not count, because the size of the list you'd have to post to prove it would be astronomical. So take it from there, but enough lists already.
June 19, 2008, 12:00:18 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Eric
"Mathew Littman
Marjorie Cohn
Raul Hinojosa
Mary Brosnahan"
 
Who are any of these people? I've seen you claim that lawyers are Democrats if they've given to Democrats in the past, even if they're just brought on to discuss things like the Kobe, OJ or various child molestation cases. So I can't take that very serious.
 
And anyway, I know the list you compiled isn't a complete list, because I saw Melanie Morgan on the factor the other day, and she isn't on your list.
June 19, 2008, 1:16:24 AM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
1. I said these were guests on political topics. Not OJ or legal cases. Clear now?
 
B. She isn't on the list because she wasn't on The Factor last week or this week. Period. Look it up yourself.
 
III. We're done talking about lists.
June 19, 2008, 1:28:19 AM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
Eric, I'm still waiting for a copy of Dick Morris' voter registration card that says (R) on it.
June 19, 2008, 1:38:17 AM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
"Chris Dodd almost never gets sweetheart loans at 2%."
 
This gets funnier every time I read it....
June 19, 2008, 1:40:19 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Fox Fan
johnny dollar | Homepage | 06.19.08 - 12:05 am | #
 
I'm happy to see that, during my good night's sleep, Eric got pwned.
June 19, 2008, 7:00:27 AM EDT – Like – Reply


Grammie
FF, I see this term "pwned" sometimes and don't know what it means.
 
From the context I see it used in I think it means, at least somewhat, hoisted by their own petard.
 
Thanks,
 
Grammie
June 19, 2008, 10:14:48 AM EDT – Like – Reply


notveryhow
"Malik Obama confirms his half-brother Barack grew up a Muslim"
 
cee | Homepage | 06.18.08 - 9:58 am |
 
This story,repeated by Mr hume,has now been debunked.
 
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/06/from-the-fact-c.html
 
Inquiring minds always seek out the truth.
June 19, 2008, 11:11:16 AM EDT – Like – Reply


sharm
Inquiring minds already did on another thread in a link to the original AP story.
June 19, 2008, 12:05:35 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
This story,repeated by Mr hume,has now been debunked.
 
---
 
That is my biggest criticism of Hume. Generally, he is good. However, Hume does have this regrettable tendency to go with some headline-screaming story, sometimes from reputable sources, sometimes from questionable sources, the story is found to be false, then nothing more is said. To be sure, technically, Hume has done nothing wrong. He has quoted a source. But, doesn't it seem that journalistic integrity might demand something more than simple silence? The real danger is that some lunatic or some roving band of lunatics picks up the false story and runs with it as if it were the Gospel. We saw what happened with the madrasas story (which I seem to recall was a Doocy/Carlson production, not Hume). There are ill-informed and dangerous people who still believe it.
June 19, 2008, 1:08:29 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
I saw a interesting story yesterday stating how obama was disallowing anyone dressed in muslim garb to be in any photo ops with him. I found that fascinating.
June 19, 2008, 2:33:25 PM EDT – Like – Reply


johnny dollar
You could make that comment cable-news related by relating it to the video posted in the Thursday links article.
June 19, 2008, 2:35:56 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
And, every cable news organization has reported that a lower level advance team member did that and Senator Obama was all over his staff about that. Please try to have the current news.
June 19, 2008, 2:36:58 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
[message deleted for rules violation: off topic]
 
You made your point. No need to pile on links as no one is disputing it and it is not really cable news related. --J$

Edited By Siteowner
June 19, 2008, 2:43:40 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
[message deleted for rules violation: off topic]

Edited By Siteowner
June 19, 2008, 3:06:14 PM EDT – Like – Reply


On The Mark
I do think that Kilmeade and Camerota deserve much, much credit for the way they handled this "story," especially Camerota. Seems that Doocy is going to just keep piling on these Obama hatchet jobs. Carlson, of course, just eggs him on. I have come to expect Kilmeade to be level-headed and grounded. I didn't really know much about Camerota. At times, she has impressed me as a bit faux ditzy in the Brzezinski mode. She did well today, and Lord knows someone need to brake Doocy. Thanks to both.
June 19, 2008, 3:16:38 PM EDT – Like – Reply


olby sucks
I see Shep is covering i, now.
June 19, 2008, 3:23:38 PM EDT – Like – Reply